1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Application equipment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Island Lawn, Feb 6, 2001.

  1. Island Lawn

    Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 632

    I have heard that I need seperate units.
    One for fertilizers and another for pesticides/herbicides.

    Does this mean I need two back packs, 2 hose-ends, 2 handhelds, 2 granular spreaders, etc?

    Where do I put all this stuff?

  2. greengeezer

    greengeezer LawnSite Member
    Messages: 32

    Island Lawn, not sure what you're looking for. Usually when someone is talking about two types of equipment they are talking about a granular spreader for granular products and backpack/hand-held or tank sprayers for liquid products. Granular products can be fertilizers or pesticides or combinations of both. The same can be said for liquid products. Give us a little more info about what you're trying to do and we can be more specific about what we'd recommend.
  3. Island Lawn

    Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 632

    Sorry so vague.
    What I'm wondering is if I have one bp sprayer that I use for liquid herbicides, Is it recommended to buy another one for liquid fertilizers so that I am not spraying residual poison along w/ the nutrients?

    For spraying vegetation on a gravel drive, the hose end sprayer is the more effecient tool than the bp sprayer.
    Is that right?

    [Edited by Island Lawn on 02-06-2001 at 11:57 PM]
  4. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675

    Anytime there is a chance for cross contaimination, you are better off using seperate application equipment. This of course is determined by the need and your available funds.

    I do use seperate Backpacks, and Canisters for all chemicals I spray. I use a 200 gallon commercial sprayer, but I use a hose end sprayer so that the tank only carries water.
  5. jrblawncare

    jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 445

    Skookum..Scott,sorry for this dumb question,I'am still learning,when you say hose end sprayer are you talking of the ones I see at the garden centers...or do they make a commercial type?I have never thought of going about that way,I was going to mix in the big tank and go.Thanks John
  6. KindGardener

    KindGardener LawnSite Member
    Messages: 186

    I'm using a hose-end sprayer (sorry I can't give you the make, but it's a more expensive one with a Loooooong nozzle (for spraying a stream up into trees & shrubs) with a deflector that flips down for spraying the ground plane.

    I'd use a hose end for gravel, I use it on my lawns, too (so long as the wind isn't blowing) - and on houses that have high water pressure I only turn on the hose part way (that cust down on the misting).

    Now I wear long sleeves & eye protection, & a dust mask.
  7. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675


    I use a Gilmore Professional Model hose end sprayer. It sounds pretty much like the one KindGardener just described. It works just like the Ortho kind you get at any garden center. I use both kinds. The Gilmore has a more advanced metering system than the normal plastic kind. I think Gilmore's site is http://www.Gilmore.com If that is not correct let me know and I will look it up for you.

    You can order them at any Ace Hardware. If you do not have a Ace around you, just contact Gilmore and they will let you know where to order from.
  8. Kent Lawns

    Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 870

    I use a hose-end sprayer, too, BUT......

    Very few lawn care chemicals are labeled for hose-end application. By not following label guidlines, we are in violation of Federal Law.

    -- Take it for what it's worth, but I'm not too sure about advacating the use of hose-end sprayers.
  9. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675

    Kent Lawns,

    I agree "Read and follow the Label". But from what I have seen, most labels do not list specific application equipment. Most just say things like apply through properly maintained and calibrated equipment capable of providing the desired application rates and amounts. In other words, I have not seen any yet, that I apply, that say do not use through a hose end sprayer.

    Unless it gives a list of the prohibited or only acceptable application equipment allowed, then it is up to the applicator and therefore not illegal by the label itself.

    I know that there are other guys like myself that are small operations that do not intend to spray hundreds of gallons of solutions. When I have posted to this "Hose End Sprayer" subject before, it seems there are several that wish to scare us other guys and ones that are just starting out into thinking the only way to spray chemicals is by mixing and spraying through a tank based sprayer.

    Anyone looking into this issue, go to your local pesticide supplier and read the labels of the products you plan to spray, I am sure you will see that most lawn herbicides do not prohibit use of a hose end sprayer.

    Oh, by the way, this is not an attack on you Kent Lawns. I just want others to realize the usefulness of a hose end sprayer in our industry. It is not a nonprofessinal method or a bad method of application. It is just a economical, versitile solution for us smaller LCO's.

    [Edited by Skookum on 02-12-2001 at 11:53 AM]
  10. greengeezer

    greengeezer LawnSite Member
    Messages: 32

    Something else to consider about hose end sprayers. Here in Mi., plumbing and health officials are not real keen on hose ends coming in contact with potential pesticides. If your hose end sprayer is not built with a vacume breaker and your making commercial applications, you may get grief from someone. At one of my former employers, we were moving into a new building. The truck fill system had yet to be installed yet the plumbing had been roughed in. The plumbing inspector would not sign off on anything till the backflow preventer was installed and he personnally saw it on the pipe. He didn't care when the rest of the system was installed as long as that backflow valve was there. The concern is over the potential for the chemicals to backflow into the water supply. That's why they also want an air gap between your hose and your tank when filling. Even filling hand cans from a homeowners hose is discouraged. Better to fill a bucket and pour it into the can than stick the hose in. Some areas aren't that picky. Here in A2 we have the oldest Ecology Center in the nation and everyone is paranoid about "chemicals"(except certain smokable herbs)

Share This Page