1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Application Insurance

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grass Happens, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. Grass Happens

    Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    I did a search for this but didnt find what I was looking for, so here it goes:

    Next year, I would like to start doing fert/pesticide apps, as well as tree treatments (for EAB). To do this, I need my applicators license. To get this in IL, I need insurance. As I'm about to fire my insurance agent, for over charging me, I'd like to get an IDEA of what this is going to cost me, before i go waste alot of time talking to insurance agents and getting lots of bovine excrement. So if any one you would be so kind as to give me a round idea of what kinda dough i have to lay down for next year. Thanks!!!
  2. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,465

    First you need to find out how much you state requires for insurance then ask the insurance company if they even have this type of coverage. In NY you need a minimum of 2 million
  3. Grass Happens

    Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    hmmm, the IL U of I site just said that application insurance is required before you can get the applicators license. hmm, back to the drawing bored.
  4. Soupy

    Soupy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,125

    Your mowing insurance probably covers applications too. I know my insurance covers both under lawn care.
  5. Grass Happens

    Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    Really? I didnt even look, but i didnt think so, Ill have to pull out the fine print. What ins do you have and how much do you pay a year?
  6. mkroher

    mkroher LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 539

    When I got my license, I called and asked my agent if pesticide applications were covered. He wasn't sure, so he contacted the insurance company. They replied I am covered, as long as I follow the instructions (label) correctly, and I'm not "making" my own chemicals.
  7. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,717

    It is probably two separate licenses. One, a Certified Applicator card, no insurance needed. You can work for yourself or another company.

    Two, a license for a pesticide application business, (which needs liability insurance).
  8. Grass Happens

    Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    In IL you can get the general standards Lic. which means i can work under somebody who has the correct applicators lic. However, if I want to spray for myself, I need to get the applicator lic, and to do that, i need to first prove that I am insured.
  9. turf hokie

    turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,751

    We needed to add a rider that specifically covers the application end of the biz. It wasnt as bad as I expected. But we are covered for more than the 2 mill that NY requires.

    added thought.
    NY requires you to have inurance before you get your business licensed. But you can get your applicator license now.
  10. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,465

    If I remembered in NY you passed the test, they sent a bill for your permits,then you sent in the money with proof of insurance.

Share This Page