Application license

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. dewos

    dewos LawnSite Member
    Messages: 189

    what do i have to go threw to get this and how much does it cost? I am going to try and stop subin it out.
  2. haybaler

    haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma
    Messages: 511

    I'm interested in this also. I think it varies from state to state. All I want to do is be able to put down weed/feed and the occasional spot spray weed killer, no serious herbicides or pesticides. I know I'm required to have a license and put flags out on the applied area but not sure how to get the license. I would love to hear from someone in mass about this.
  3. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

  4. Clear-Cut

    Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 481

    contact your local couty extension office and they will be able to tell you..i know in jersey rutgers university has combines with the state and offers mandatory classes to get certified...

    you have to take three classes, and pass the exams...then, you have to do 40 hours of on the job training, applying fertilizers for a qualified company (but you can be exempt ftom the 40 hours, i think if you are just starting a business then you are exempt..but im not sure)
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    The "on the job" thing varies from state to state. Some states are more stringent on requirements. Michigan for instance, requires 2 full years of certified experience before you can apply for a business license. There is a cool "sticky" on the top of the pesticide forum entitled Licensing in all states or something of that nature. Hope this helps.
  6. dewos

    dewos LawnSite Member
    Messages: 189

    Thanks all
  7. haybaler

    haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma
    Messages: 511

    Wow. I looked at the massachusetts site and it's not even worth the effort for me. You really have to be full time just to afford the study material and all the fees and recertification. all I want to do is spread a little weed n' feed here and there
  8. lawns90

    lawns90 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 19

    In rhode island along with mass and other states you need to contact the DEM department of agriculture. It is a two day class for $200.00 If you pass the exam ( wich is the same exam in many states) you yhen pay a fee $30.00 processing and proof of pesticide insurance. This is added to general liability insurance. From then on its only $30.00 a year and 8 credit hours every 5 years.
    One note: After taking the classes you realize that applicaters need a license insurance ext. to applly pesticides. You can buy weed and feed at lowes and need a license to apply it but joe home owner can put down the same stuff without any regulation. who is really causing pesticide pollution,
    the trained licensed applicator or the home owner without a clue.!!!!!!
  9. dewos

    dewos LawnSite Member
    Messages: 189

    yah same here I am just going to keep subing out I make about 15-20% on bid so its not to bad.
  10. Roger

    Roger LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,940

    For PA residents:

    Here is the link to explain the applicator license,

    You must take certain courses and pass the associated tests before being granted a license. Further, you need to continue to take courses each year, or xxx credits over some small period of time (2-3 years) to retain your license.

    Your timing might be bad. Many of the courses are given during the Winter months, so that the newly qualified applicator is ready to begin work in the Spring. You need to make inquiries on where and when the courses are given.

    I know that courses for "continuing credits" are offered at the Western PA Turf Show in Monroeville. I am not sure about initial licensing, but I don't think they are offered at the Show. You need so many "core credits" that are common to all applicators, and then "secondary credits" that fit your specific area of interest.

    If you wish to proceed in getting the license, be sure to check with your insurance agent. When I checked a few years ago, the annual premium more than doubled if I wished to add applications to my list of services.

    I know other "one person" operators that went through the process and worked for one season. The money when doing the app only is very good ($/hr). However, some significant equipment was needed that was not expected (e.g. tanks for sprays - granulated material proven to be of little use for weed control). Also, the call-backs were terrible. Every little thing the customer found in their lawn that didn't look right -- a call to "come to look and take care of this." All those visits and time were without charge, making the initial $/hr suddenly look pretty poor. After one season, the idea was scrapped. My point is that it isn't quite as easy as it might seem when the time and expense are all added together.

    I never took the courses and tests, hence no license. I know another company who works the same neighborhoods, a company that I like their work. I asked for cards and urge folks to work with them. I know what I'm going to find with him when I show up to mow.

    Only my perspective ....

Share This Page