Applications for prospective employees

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
I put in a few Facebook groups that I am hiring for part time helper, I've had a few phone calls of people looking for a job but I have no applications for them to fill out. Only thing I have is their name and phone number on a piece of paper.

In one instance I'm thinking I'm just a solo guy looking for help but in another I'm thinking bigger since I am an LLC treated as S-corp so I should have some formal application and in reality would like to hire somebody with more experience than me and would want to know their qualifications.

When you hired, did you have them fill out an app?

Are there suggested applications for the lawn business?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Word to the wise
There aren’t people out there who want a job that don’t already have one.

It’s extremely hard to find someone to work a full time job.
Part time?

put yourself in the same shoes as the person you’re trying to hire.
Why would they want to come work for you?

let me take my availability from 7-5 and only capitalize on half of it.
So 20 hours a week , $15 an hour sounds like something someone is looking for?

it might be if times were desperate and people couldn’t get any money for food.

a part time job is something like working at a convenience store... extra income, not a lot of exertion.. because they already have another job.

part time yard help is a pipe dream when you can’t even offer people a career in this field with benefits.

best to look at something like a temp agency to supply your temp worker
While it costs a lot of money,
It also pays all their workers comp and taxes etc.
It’s like shopping for milk or soda at a convenience store
It’s not the cheapest option, just the most convenient.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Not sure about Florida or if it's federal, but I believe it's a requirement to have an application on file for any employee.

Assuming you want to be legal. And will be paying taxes, unemployment, WC, etc.

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
Not sure about Florida or if it's federal, but I believe it's a requirement to have an application on file for any employee.

Assuming you want to be legal. And will be paying taxes, unemployment, WC, etc.
Yeah I'm legal, unempoloyment, wc,insurance, all the good stuff. I'll check it out, thanks

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
I put in a few Facebook groups that I am hiring for part time helper, I've had a few phone calls of people looking for a job but I have no applications for them to fill out. Only thing I have is their name and phone number on a piece of paper.

In one instance I'm thinking I'm just a solo guy looking for help but in another I'm thinking bigger since I am an LLC treated as S-corp so I should have some formal application and in reality would like to hire somebody with more experience than me and would want to know their qualifications.

When you hired, did you have them fill out an app?

Are there suggested applications for the lawn business?
Been there done that with the Facebook thing. I did find 2 really good guys off of it recently. Facebook applicants stream in like droves! You can get 20 a day. Every few days I'll make a spreadsheet with names and numbers and call and phone screen them. You'll get rid of 75-80% this way. Those that I leave a message with I automatically scratch their name off as they rarely call me back. If they call back I remove the scratch. Those that make it past that I meet in person. From there I hire if I find a good one. I hit them with direct, make it or break it questions during the first call. Those that just sound lazy normally don't get a call back. Many sound like they just woke up from sleeping....at 11AM! A good way to determine whether or not they are the right fit is to schedule the interview early in the morning. Many won't show!

I could go on and on with the facebook interview stories, lots of time wasted but it is worth it when you find the right ones.

jetson

LawnSite Member
Strange that working in and or for a lawn care company is really the easiest pay check in town and no one wants to work. Good pay Drive time in am. Between jobs.. outside.. can listen to music. No one really bothers you and I have the hardest time finding anyone worth keeping.. crazy.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Get as much info as you can prior to spending time talking, meeting, or calling. Many can be weeded out based on work history alone. While there may be a good reason short employment or large gaps are a problem.

step 2 would be narrow the list and call and talk to them. If I find someone decent. I like a no strings attached working interview. I can evaluate and make a choice.

I would also carry business cards and if you run into someone working another job(waiter, gas station, construction) and they appear to be hustling give the, a card and introduce yourself

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
Offer your current employees say a $100 bonus for finding a worker once worker completes training (40 to 80hrs or whatever) then another $400 if they stay on for 6 months. IMO $500 is a cheap investment if you find an employee that is worth keeping for 6 months. Plus you can write off the bonus come tax time so there's at least that.

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
Offer your current employees say a $100 bonus for finding a worker once worker completes training (40 to 80hrs or whatever) then another $400 if they stay on for 6 months. IMO $500 is a cheap investment if you find an employee that is worth keeping for 6 months. Plus you can write off the bonus come tax time so there's at least that.
Yep, or even better pay them cash, it works!