Applicator test ?

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm studying for my applicators licenses right now for commercial use on my lawn customers. I've got 3 books I was told I had to study an pass the test. In the ornamental pest management book do I need to know all the diseases, management , and all the insects in order to pass the test? Thanks it's a ton of info to soak in if I have to know it all.
Posted via Mobile Device

BikePilot

LawnSite Member
The short answer is yes. I have been licensed in GA and most recently in TN. Call the Dept of Ag and find out how the test is setup. Both states I am licensed in have been 2 test to get to the level of being able to own your own business. TN was a little different because the second test was actually 2 parts with the first part being multiple choice and the second being specimen ID. The specimen ID covered a little of everything but it was a lot to study because they randomly pick from anything you could come across. Some of the stuff on my test in TN was not in the book as specific as the test. Good luck and don't get down on yourself if you don't pass the first time. I wouldn't have passed the TN test had it not been for my experience in GA for 6 years.

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yea I planned on that for sure. It's only takin me 2 days to read all three of them. Only part I'm havin touble with is how to calibrate all the different types of equipment, and how to correctly measure all the herbicides. All the equations and what not. Also all the diseases and insects...
Posted via Mobile Device

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
Best advise I can give is to contact your State Dept. Of Ag. They administer for the EPA. Get their study books. Read and absorb as much as you can. If they offer a class(s) I did take and would also recommend. If possible take the test that day. The core test is probably the longest and multiple choice. Ours was 90 questions. Calibration and PPE, safety, laws was the largest part of the test. Know the laws, read the labels. If you don't know the answer skip that question. Answer all questions then go back and do the questions you could not answer before. Your answer may be in another question. Go back through all test questions to double check your work. As you get in to specific areas with other test there are less questions. Yes you need to learn and know a lot. No it is not easy. You can take the test as many times as it takes. There is no time limit. Take a calculator as you may not be able to use your phone. In my state it is pass/fail. I'm thinking the minimum to pass is around 70 %. Really not that bad considering the damage that can be done very quickly if not done right. You will have to have proof of insurance and pay the fees on everything before a license is issued to you. It's worth it to get. Good Luck !!