Applicators RANT thread

tdoeizreal

LawnSite Senior Member
The mowing guys have one, and I got a call yesterday that made me decide we needed one.

So I got a call yesterday from a guy that's called probably 5-6 times in the last 2 weeks since I gave him a bid and he accepted. In this call he says he's been watering 2-3 times a day but not seeing anything yet. Hmm

I got to thinking and asked, "Weren't they out there on Monday?" He responds "Yea." :wall:

It's been 4 days since we put down seed and this guys freaking out because it's not germinating yet. Not to mention it's been 90° all week.

I about lost my cool.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
The mowing guys have one, and I got a call yesterday that made me decide we needed one.

So I got a call yesterday from a guy that's called probably 5-6 times in the last 2 weeks since I gave him a bid and he accepted. In this call he says he's been watering 2-3 times a day but not seeing anything yet. Hmm

I got to thinking and asked, "Weren't they out there on Monday?" He responds "Yea." :wall:

It's been 4 days since we put down seed and this guys freaking out because it's not germinating yet. Not to mention it's been 90° all week.

I about lost my cool.
Don't lose your cool, educate your client. Send him a fact sheet on seeding from your local Agricultural Extension.

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
This is more of a spring thing, but brand new customers who complain about weeds after Rd 1 (we typically don't spray w/c Rd 1 unless temps are right) my production manager is really good at saying "we have all year to spray weeds and only a small window for pre emergent"

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a rant/vent. I'm the only licensed applicator in my area but I've got countless people using pesticides in a for hire situation. I report them, names, addresses, pictures, property owners admission, I do all the leg work. Nothing ever happens, I've been told "not enough evidence", I have serious doubts that they even investigated.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a rant/vent. I'm the only licensed applicator in my area but I've got countless people using pesticides in a for hire situation. I report them, names, addresses, pictures, property owners admission, I do all the leg work. Nothing ever happens, I've been told "not enough evidence", I have serious doubts that they even investigated.
No one likes a snitch.

In all seriousness I get the fact that these unlicensed people are hurting your biz but instead of spending your time playing pesticide license detective, spend it selling more jobs. In my opinion, focus on what you are doing, not what others are doing. It does irritate me that I pay my license renewal fee every year, studied, stay in compliance, etc. yet nothing ever happens to the illegal guys but no one said life was fair so theres that.