Applying compost as a topsoil

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by CJ's Mowing Service, Nov 18, 2019.

1. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Senior Member

Considering doing this for my personal lawn, but it is popular in my area, so considering for business. I want to add compost to my lawn for the nutrients. The way it’s done here, people make small piles and basically fling it to cover the lawns. My yard is a 1/2 acre, about 18,500 square feet of grass. How much product would I use/need?

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

If your topdressing a 1/4 inch layer is good. Which equals to about 1200sqft per yard of compost.

oqueoque and Cam15 like this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on what turf grass youve got I might be concerned with the heat produced by the decomp of the compost.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

has anybody ever flung straw all over a lawn then mowed it a bunch of times then left it . then week after week double / triple cut it until its broke down into the soil ?

Cam15 likes this.
  5. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Never heard this as an issue in any part of the USA or Canada. Compost topdressing is pretty standard service in "Organic" programs.

oqueoque, hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Had sod farm, when I asked them, tell me most zoysia cultivars are sensitive to the heat produced by decomp. I used to use a combo of leafmulch and promix (compost + sand) as soil amendments before this info made me second guess... And I stopped. That's what I told them I used and they said I'd be much better served with adding screened top soil maybe plus a little red sand rather than compost... For that reason. Heat of decomposition. I've never done a Riggle study on it though. Maybe he has? Seriously wondering.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Maybe if you got a hot batch of unfinished compost I can see some burning. Properly finished compost not an issue.

phasthound, hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Senior Member

St Augustine

Cam15 likes this.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The high moisture retention is not good for Zoysia either. Worst Large Patch I had ever seen was on a lawn core aerated then topped with compost.

kemco and Cam15 like this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have not tested this.
    I think the heat of decomposition-- requires nearly an airtight situation. Heat can probably build up in the center of a deep compost pile. Steam rises when 20 foot high compost piles are turned in the winter.
    I would not expect heat build up where air could circulate. I do not think heat would build up if the compost were less than 12 inches thick.

Heat damage from high soil temps and tightly rolled sod--that is a different matter. Bad news when it happens.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.