1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Applying fertilizer and persticides in Iowa

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by gl1200a, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. gl1200a

    gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 512

    I want to start a lawn care business and it would involve applying fertilizer and pesticides to customer lawns. I'm having problems finding a website for information on applying fertilizer. Do you need a license to apply fertilizer to a customer's lawn or just persticides?

    Thank you.
  2. cuttinggreen

    cuttinggreen LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    I am looking into the same thing.... Talk with your local extension office. There is a commercial applicators license, a certificate of insurance of $50,000 for property and a $50,000 for public liability. Then there is a applicator certification. It is a test that must be taken. Your local extension office will have the study guide. If you want turf only the test you need to take is 3T, if you want to apply for bushes and others, you need to take the test 3OT. Cost wise, the certs are $30/year or $75/3 years plus $25/year for business license.

    This is what was explained over the phone from my county office. They are sending me a packet with further information. You can call your local county pestiside office and they can give you your local restrictions
  3. gl1200a

    gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 512

    Thanks for the help!
  4. rvsuper

    rvsuper Senior Member
    Messages: 930

  5. gl1200a

    gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 512

    They way I read this is that you only need a license to apply pesticidfe and not fertilizer. Right or wrong.
    Thank you

Share This Page