• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Applying fertilizer and persticides in Iowa

gl1200a

LawnSite Senior Member
I want to start a lawn care business and it would involve applying fertilizer and pesticides to customer lawns. I'm having problems finding a website for information on applying fertilizer. Do you need a license to apply fertilizer to a customer's lawn or just persticides?

Thank you.

cuttinggreen

LawnSite Member
I am looking into the same thing.... Talk with your local extension office. There is a commercial applicators license, a certificate of insurance of $50,000 for property and a $50,000 for public liability. Then there is a applicator certification. It is a test that must be taken. Your local extension office will have the study guide. If you want turf only the test you need to take is 3T, if you want to apply for bushes and others, you need to take the test 3OT. Cost wise, the certs are $30/year or $75/3 years plus $25/year for business license.

This is what was explained over the phone from my county office. They are sending me a packet with further information. You can call your local county pestiside office and they can give you your local restrictions

OP
G

gl1200a

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the help!

OP
G

gl1200a

LawnSite Senior Member
They way I read this is that you only need a license to apply pesticidfe and not fertilizer. Right or wrong.
Thank you