Applying post emergent products on dormant warm season turf

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
What products would you consider safe to apply on dormant warm season turf? I know know products such as simazine are Ok and dismiss is a no-go. I know I am pretty safe on bermuda & zoysia but am trying to knock out some wild onion/garlic in centipede & St Aug. Would I see any negative effects using metsulfuron or Celsius while the turf is dormant? I know some of these products say not to apply when turf is emerging from dormancy which is mid March where I am.

bamaturf

LawnSite Member
i use lesco 3 way ester II on dormant bermuda & zoysia. its labeled for
onions,garlic & lots o broadleaf. it has to be used below 65 degrees

Magic Neal

LawnSite Member
I have been using celsius since January, because here in Texas the weeds have been terrible due to our drought. I have been using Celsius and dimension and I have had stellar results. The one thing to consider though is if you want to reseed. With pre-m's like dimensions ( simazine) and xl2g you have to wait a minimum of 2 months with warm grasses. For the wild onion you can also use pro sedge and it should be ok.

http://www.magicpestandlawn.com/

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
The reason I like Celcius so well for St Augustine is because you can use it at any time. It does not matter if the St Augustine is waking up, going to sleep or if it is 90 degrees. It takes longer to work when it is cool, but it does work.
I like the Speedzone Southern for the Bermuda this time of year unless the lawns have Poa or Rescuegrass in them, but like you say it gives a warning for St Augustine grass coming out of dormancy so I generally just use it on the Bermuda.

I only use Simazine in the Fall but I have heard it can really stun hybrid Bermudas in the Spring.

midlandlawncare

LawnSite Member
Dormant bermuda gets cleaned up with good ol3 Glyphosate, wouldnt risk it on zoysia or st augustine though. They never totally go dormant here , ..well maybe zoysia , but Bermuda recovers if its ever wounded by anything, Zoysia is too slow to self repair.

Its the best way ive found and cheapest to wipe out the little poa annua thats left in bermuda and the few clumps of fescue.

Also love the safety of Gly. , 2'4 D , atrazine , etc worries me in the long run on health..
But you gotta spray it sometimes , best to keep it all good and clean with pre-m , never 100 percent effective though.

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I guess I didn't make it real clear but I was mainly talking about St Aug and the Centipede. BTW I don't use any 24D on these 2. Not bermuda & zoysia.

Turf Dawg,
Yes, simazine really makes bermuda sick if applied in the spring. Won't kill it but will make you think it's never going to green up.