1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Applying sealer by hand (squeegee) or spray wand?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by NYSealer, Jan 13, 2008.

1. NYSealer

NYSealer LawnSite Member

What are everyone's opinion on the subject? I have applied sealer to driveways using a squeegee. The downfalls are that it takes significantly longer to complete each driveway and messier. However the advantages are that I often, and have, used the fact that i apply the sealer by hand as a competitive advantage and as a result often get away with charging a higher premium for my service, and a last advantage is that applying sealer by hand is not nearly as expensive as purchasing a spray wand, pump, etc...

thoughts?

2. wburks

wburks LawnSite Member

Sounds Good to me do you have to have contractors Lic for your state

3. NYSealer

NYSealer LawnSite Member

Wburks, in new york general contractors in our category (asphalt maintenance, sealcoaters) are governed at the county level. I can only speak on sullivan County, so to answer your answer, no I do not need a business license/permit, but it is all contingent upon the county.

4. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i advertize as hand applied and it definately helps me land work i say a brush applied drive lasts 4-5 years, squeege 3-4 and a spray job lasts a year maybe 2 thats normal driveway traffic though

driveways i always brush apply with 40" brushes, it fills up cracks and looks nice when done, squeege will squeegee off the top of the aggregate and wears off faster

parking lots i spray, and will brush in entrances where theres more traffic

if people want me to beat a price ill spray after i wet the driveway (you get what you pay for, you cant to a 1000 square foot driveway for 80 dollars so stop being gypsies)

i get around 17-25 cents a square foot for brush applied , yet people are still out there bidding 7-12 cents...i could see if it was a 600,000 sqft parking lot then maybe 9 cents would fly

5. DaveinVa

DaveinVa LawnSite Member

I have been sealing for about 5 years and I have always found in my area that customers by far prefer hand application over spraying. Most spray jocks in this area are basically here today - gone tomorrow - quick in - quick out - and merely paint the driveway . I have consisitently sold jobs - and part of my estimating procedure figures in the amount of time it's going to take and I charge accordingly - and can easily justify my higher price to my customers. Where you run into difficulty is if you are going to be doing large commercial parking lots - where hand application is just not feasible - so having spray equipment does allow for commericial applications - as well as offering a choice to the residential customers. I have yet to have 1 single residential customer choose spraying over hand application - even though the price is considerably different.
    Dave

6. Pave_A_Lot

Pave_A_Lot LawnSite Member

We use both depending on how big the area is were doing

We often do two coats (3+ for commercial) One squeegee one spray the squeegee coat is for smoothness and the spray coat is for durability

7. fullmetalbucket

fullmetalbucket LawnSite Member

I spray and get great results.... always do a good cleaning, take my time and follow up the year after to make sure the job is standing up. Usually get 3 good years out of a job. Respraying 2005 driveways this year. We get alot of referrals, we're accessible with signage etc.

8. Coater

Coater LawnSite Member
    from MI.

We spray and give a two year warranty, Somtimes I'll do a new drive by hand first then spray a second. I charge .17 to .27 for spraying. I feel I put down a lot more spraying then I do by hand and the drive gets more mills of protection..