April's shot....gonna be an off year

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:24 AM.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

4 inches of snow here and temps 20 degrees below normal for at least a few more days.
    Looks more and more likely I am just going to be sitting on my can until May now. April may be a complete loss...and that hurts. And I'm not the worst off....17 inches of snow in the Twin Cities! It'll take a week or two just to get that snow melted off, let alone turf half way dried out.

Scaling back my sales forecast big time....

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder how the weather will affect the new start ups from last year and this coming season, some will probably be weeded out.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on how your program is set up, you may consider combining round 1 & 2 together, and recover a good percentage of round 1 revenue? This route would also put you in a good place schedule wise as opposed to tying to play catch up for a month! We all know that if you are working too fast, quality is going to drop. this business is stressful enough when you get a normal spring start, loosing a month is awful! We lost most of april due to snow 2 years ago, no fun!

hort101 and Marine03112 like this.
  4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

It's still doable here looks like may be 3 days this week but sure hope it straights up next week

5. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

feel ur pain. finished cleanups last week and started apps Saturday finally,
    still couple snow banks here and there, but now another inch
    snow on ground this am and everything frozen

6. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

Being in Minnesota I would think about doing snow mangenent. Just a thought.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Screw snow removal. Miserable arse biz, and most seasons you starve to death cause it hardly snows. Then when it does, it's in April cutting your main warm season work in the butt.

grassmonkey0311 and hort101 like this.
  8. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel the same way about snow removal but having a few accounts in your climate might be a great idea. Talked to a friend that works for the US meteorological service and stated thst this is most likely going to persist. The late winters etc. for the next several years.

9. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

Looked at the 90-day outlook on accuweather.com -- looks like it's going to be a mild summer with a lot of HI's in the 70's and low 80's.

So likely no scorcher summer this year.

So much for global warming/climate change!

I know that we're supposed to be diligent enough to focus our schedule on Growing Degree Days and NOT calendar days, but this late winter still screws the planned work schedule for the coming season!

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

As much as I dislike late spring storms, 9inches yesterday of heavy wet snow, it is still better than a drought. The grass will eventually grow along with the weeds. Will just have to work a little harder and longer in the spring. Just have to make sure everything is ready to go so you can hit the ground running.

TPendagast likes this.