Aquascape Training Class--Has Anyone attended?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by TexTerrain, Dec 8, 2017.

1. TexTerrain

TexTerrain LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, Last week I saw a video (Stan "Dirt Monkey" Genedak) on how profitable water features (ponds) are. Aquascape has a training class on install/business and marketing ponds. Its in chicago. Cost is 495 plus airfare. Anyone taken class and have feedback. Thanks your input is appreciated,

2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw that video too and im Very interested. I live nearby so I might check it out.

3. TexTerrain

TexTerrain LawnSite Member

Bet let me know how it work out, however there is a class jan 16 Im considering. If i attend I will fill you in

hort101 likes this.
  4. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested in adding this service too. I keep watching different YouTube videos and it seems simple enough. If anyone does take the class - definately let us know if it's worth the $ / time.

5. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

Basin water features such as basalt columns are completely different from a water garden, and water gardens are completely different from koi ponds. You design a pond the aquascape way, you will be giving your clients a heavy maintenance hole with water.

Designing and building waterfalls are more complicated if you want to create a natural flow and takes practice getting the water to go and react exactly the way you want.

hort101 likes this.
  6. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Care to elaborate why a pondless waterfall will be a maintenance hole?

GRANTSKI likes this.
  7. GRANTSKI

Yes please. It seems straight forward enough. Gotta imagine these products have also been steadily improved over the years.

8. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

I can answe both your questions easily, and I assume neither have much experience in troubleshooting or repairs.

The issue is not with their material, while over prices, it’s actually decent. However their methods are, unless something has changed recently.

Both pondless and water gardens, based on their installation methods, are worthless. How do you clean it? Sump pump. How often, we’ll that does depend on a variety of issues. Dirt and other debris can become trapped in the rock, that molds. The time it takes depends on how dirty it actually is.

No matter the pond type, there needs to be either a bittom drain or an under gravel drain system. Not a fan over under gravel drain system because they clogg, similar to fish tanks.

Tell you what, give ma second and I’ll find a picture of a resent pond repair and revamp we did. You’ll understand what I’m saying.

hort101 likes this.
  9. GRANTSKI

Makes sense but I would try to sell them on a maintenance plan (or have them sign a disclaimer if they refuse).

hort101 likes this.
  10. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

I cropped out the employee, but you see the black stuff? That’s dirt, about 3” with of sludge. That “pond” was only a year old.

Water was green, dirty, smelled bad. Oh, and completed by a ln aquascape certified business.

You want business get certified, that’s how they got the job, but also a negative review from this customer.

C6A380C6-64F0-4751-BDC0-B82737C009BA.jpeg

hort101 likes this.