Aquascape Training Class--Has Anyone attended?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by TexTerrain, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

That is great and all but clients want low maintenance. Not for have to pay you 4 hours in the spring and fall to do cleanings. Although, I’m waiting on someone to bring up the idea that they have chemicals for that.

2. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Yuk. Appears to be in the shade that could maybe contribute to mold/algea.?
    Good info but alot of variables. Prob a good idea to do a cleaning a month or so after the install - after waterfall has washed the dirt and sediment into the basin.
    Idk I think I am going to go for the training - gotta start somewhere.

3. GRANTSKI

If they got $4-5k to spend on it what's another cpl hundred . Give em the option for maintenance or they can sign the waiver or w/e.

hort101 likes this.
  4. GRANTSKI

Gives me the idea to add the first maintenance service "free" with any install. (Aka already priced into the job lol)

hort101 likes this.
  5. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

This sentence right here tells me you are unaware of exactly how the elements work with and against water.

And the following comment also tells me you are more concerned with making a quick buck compared to taking care of clients. I prefer to do things correctly, and get a referral for another install instead of a couple hundred in maintenance. Again clients want easy, low maintenance because most believe it or not plan to do it themselves.

But you are right, you have to start somewhere. Best of luck and keep researching and learning, only way to do it. I’m sure there are forums regarding ponds and waterfalls you could find. Personally I think it’s best to learn from others mistakes and what not to do.

6. GRANTSKI

No don't get me wrong I'd rather come back and check on the pond first time even for free - regardless wether I'd be doing the maintenance or not. Because I also want to know / learn any issues and maintenance problems that may come up.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

I agree, follow ups are a good chance to do a verbal survey with the customer as well as inspect the workmanship. The key is to anticipate and have an understand of what issues could arise due to certain elements, as well as from installation methods. I don’t want to follow up and hear of issues, I prefer to calculate what could go wrong and correct it during the installation process.

Sure, sometimes things happen that you don’t plan for. Such as a customer who decides to plant a tree right behind the waterfall, but if installed properly this will not be a real issue.

I just have major beef with aquascape installers because of their lack of knowledge when it comes to methods of installation and relaying that information to the client.

I once had to take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water, and poke a hole in the side to get one installer to finally understand that any water under the skimmer weir does not get circulated.

hort101 likes this.
  8. GRANTSKI

All good info. So making sure the water pump sits just @ or below the bottom of the water level is def a biggie? Idk if you've looked at their newer design but I think it helps w that . I'll be interested to see how much they talk about maintainance.

9. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

This picture was pulled directly from their website. During your training class you may ask how the bottom water gets circulated, because it does not. They may say (this ties into their crap “on going Maintenance” program) that the rocks in the bottom provide a breading ground for beneficial bacteria.

In short, that is actually correct, but there is one huge problem. Not only is There is little to no oxygen, but there is no context with other elements to provide said bacteria. For example, think of a natural stream, it makes contact with dirt, and other organisms that help provide and establish bacteria. In other words, that rock bottom becomes a trap for leaves, dirt, and any other type of debris that makes its way to the bottom.

Since the bottom gets no circulation there are no bacteria. You may have some in your skimmer or waterfall, But very little. What they will tell you for maintenance is that it’s “easy” and you can use their chemicals to help with the process.

21E1A1BE-2CB2-45C0-9EF9-4FD30C79E2A7.jpeg

10. GRANTSKI

O ok I actually only plan on starting with pondless water falls which I was referring to that system. It's actually a better option at least around here : cant keep fish in an uncovered pond or the local wildlife eats them up.