Arborist Pruning work morphed into Photography and Portraiture

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mdvaden, Nov 9, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes ... that's a good one. Reminds me of the other week when I was invited to an engagement shoot. Practice on my part. I didn't quite feel like I got the right look in the end, but then realized that my mentor picked the spots and lighting with a vision in mind. A vision, angle and perspective I could not see.

Had some fun down in Humboldt the other day in a small redwood park, shooting an entirely different outfit look.

Nikki_1_1200.jpg

2. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly, we all tend to use what vision we have in mind. I too need to think outside the box and just use the tools I have. Not only with photography but in other areas as well...but, I bet I will find that I get myself into a corner. But that is okay, at least I tried. I never know I might find that corner is great vantage point :).

The other day I was pruning my father's apple tree. It is becoming rather large but a most impressive looking tree that produces wonderful fruit. Point is, most would not prune like I do, but dad showed me years ago.

Your last photo has several dark areas on different planes...well done I must say.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

The way I view pruning, apple trees can or should be some of the most advanced pruning if its done strategically. I meet quite a few people who think trees like Japanese maples are more difficult or take more skill, but I tell them that to train and preserve apple trees is more advanced.

Here's another photo taken at the beach the night following the last photo I posted.

[​IMG]

4. On a call

Having pruned both and more, I feel you are correct. The problem I have with apple and others is the the rebounding. I HATE SUCKERS ! We/I can have a tree looking great and in one year it is like we have a war. I think I first learned on a Jab Maple, specifically a cut leaf. It was that or a crab. I remember being taught...clean the leaders :) . On the larger crabs I was the climber.

The back drop reminds me of stars. If not for the shadow, I would think I was looking at the sky. You certainly find different and interesting subjects.

5. On a call

ps...due to the style of pruning. I am having very heavy laden branches with fruit. Using supports helps to prevent breakage.

Perhaps I need to develop an apple banyan tree ! yeah baby...

6. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

Here's an older photo - this gal was quite the character. An arachnid fan. Am_9_B_1200.jpg

7. On a call

She may be a character, however I like the shot.
    Interesting how it goes with some folks.
    I bet she liked spiderman :) .

8. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

Just designed some redwood photo books. An album template and written as a book. The photo quality came out better than expected. Going to sell them at the new 2nd Street gallery in Crescent City, CA

Book_A_600.jpg

Book_C_600.jpg

Book_B_600.jpg

9. On a call

How much ?
    I am interested.

10. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

With shipping, it's $45. For it's weight, it's not cheap. 44 pages. But the feedback has been stellar from several purchasers and viewers. I showed one copy at the motel I stay at in Crescent City, and the guy who works there says he's thinking of getting a dozen of them as holiday gifts. He would get a bulk discount for sure.

The description is a short ways down my main redwood page:

http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

The content has some out of the ordinary images for a redwood table book. A conversation piece.

Just packaged one copy this afternoon, destined for Sweden.