1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Arborist Pruning work morphed into Photography and Portraiture

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mdvaden, Nov 9, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes ... that's a good one. Reminds me of the other week when I was invited to an engagement shoot. Practice on my part. I didn't quite feel like I got the right look in the end, but then realized that my mentor picked the spots and lighting with a vision in mind. A vision, angle and perspective I could not see.

Had some fun down in Humboldt the other day in a small redwood park, shooting an entirely different outfit look.

Nikki_1_1200.jpg

2. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly, we all tend to use what vision we have in mind. I too need to think outside the box and just use the tools I have. Not only with photography but in other areas as well...but, I bet I will find that I get myself into a corner. But that is okay, at least I tried. I never know I might find that corner is great vantage point :).

The other day I was pruning my father's apple tree. It is becoming rather large but a most impressive looking tree that produces wonderful fruit. Point is, most would not prune like I do, but dad showed me years ago.

Your last photo has several dark areas on different planes...well done I must say.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

The way I view pruning, apple trees can or should be some of the most advanced pruning if its done strategically. I meet quite a few people who think trees like Japanese maples are more difficult or take more skill, but I tell them that to train and preserve apple trees is more advanced.

Here's another photo taken at the beach the night following the last photo I posted.

[​IMG]

4. On a call

Having pruned both and more, I feel you are correct. The problem I have with apple and others is the the rebounding. I HATE SUCKERS ! We/I can have a tree looking great and in one year it is like we have a war. I think I first learned on a Jab Maple, specifically a cut leaf. It was that or a crab. I remember being taught...clean the leaders :) . On the larger crabs I was the climber.

The back drop reminds me of stars. If not for the shadow, I would think I was looking at the sky. You certainly find different and interesting subjects.

5. On a call

ps...due to the style of pruning. I am having very heavy laden branches with fruit. Using supports helps to prevent breakage.

Perhaps I need to develop an apple banyan tree ! yeah baby...

6. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

Here's an older photo - this gal was quite the character. An arachnid fan. Am_9_B_1200.jpg

7. On a call

She may be a character, however I like the shot.
    Interesting how it goes with some folks.
    I bet she liked spiderman :) .

8. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

Just designed some redwood photo books. An album template and written as a book. The photo quality came out better than expected. Going to sell them at the new 2nd Street gallery in Crescent City, CA

Book_A_600.jpg

Book_C_600.jpg

Book_B_600.jpg

9. On a call

How much ?
    I am interested.

10. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

With shipping, it's $45. For it's weight, it's not cheap. 44 pages. But the feedback has been stellar from several purchasers and viewers. I showed one copy at the motel I stay at in Crescent City, and the guy who works there says he's thinking of getting a dozen of them as holiday gifts. He would get a bulk discount for sure.

The description is a short ways down my main redwood page:

http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

The content has some out of the ordinary images for a redwood table book. A conversation piece.

Just packaged one copy this afternoon, destined for Sweden.