Arborist Pruning work morphed into Photography and Portraiture

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mdvaden, Nov 9, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Howdy. It's more that I changed gears, switched habits and did some transitions that got me off some forums for a bit. One was a lot of reading to catch up on renewal CEUs for my arborist certification. Part was changing to mirrorless camera and some different lenses. That moved me to posting and questions a lot at a couple of photography forums.

But it is worth noting there are fewer practice subjects (models) in this part of southern Oregon. And I haven't been trying to leverage photography business for almost a year as I "re-tool" my photography kit.

But I put a surge into getting more pruning and landscape work though, including this new electric pruner. This is Matayo, a server at the local Texas Roadhouse restaurant, modeling my new pruner. Matayo_8_POTN.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

What mirrorless camera system are you using?

3. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located? I am coming to Oregon (Eugene) tomorrow for a couple of weeks.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

I sold my Canon 5D mk iii and bought the Canon EOS R mirrorless to add alongside my 5DS. I don't do video, so the EOS R has become one of the nicest and most comfortable cameras I've ever used. It literally adapts all the EF lenses and makes them work better than ever before. But I really appreciate it's medium size.

hort101 likes this.
  5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

love the prunner. been wanting one of those for a long time

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

agree would like to here how MD vaden likes it once hes used it someThumbs UpThumbs Up
    love the pics tooThumbs UpThumbs Up

RussellB likes this.
  7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I wished I had waited for the Canon stuff. I went with a Sony 6300 but the lack of glass at a reasonable price is frustrating. If I had Canon it would be slightly cheaper and I'd have a wide range I could bum off a few photography friends.

8. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

ELECTRIC PRUNER >>> I've used it part time and I feel it half paid for itself the first few days I used it for vines and fruit trees. My hand was getting so sore, I was on the verge of having to take days off. I don't use it every day. I also bought a left hand Felco and wear Felco hand pruners on both sides to cut 1/2 the hand pruning to each hand now. Also about the pruners, I did 4 hours steady fruit tree pruning when went up to Portland, about a dozen medium size fruit trees. The battery still have 1/2 power left. Two lights of the three indicators were still on. I only cut up to 3/4 inch to make sure I don't push it too far. If you go to my mdvaden site link in my signature, the bottom photo on the right and a link in the last paragraph show a house I started working that was the straw in the camel's back for my hand, and getting the electric pruners.

RE photos, someone I think I've posted before, but a new image edit. Dakota_Sweat_POTNmdv.jpg

starry night, hort101 and RussellB like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

Sony makes good stuff. But I know what you mean about the progression of glass for that platform. I think Canon and Nikon finally broke through sufficiently for full frame mirrorless and crop mirrorless now that they are very good options, putting video on the back burner.

The first review that broke with the lab-test critics, which sold me on getting the EOS R -- and not selling my 85mm 1.2 ii was this guy Travis Harris. The video was informal. But if you have time, grab a beverage and listen to what he shared >> he goes way beyond the card slot, and its fairly comprehensive >>

hort101 likes this.