• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Arborvitae planting now? Mid Atlantic region?

CapeMay609

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone. We just picked up a full service property and they want about 10-15 arborvitaes planted. The years we’ve been in business we have never done plantings like this past September, we do them constantly in the summer but we are such a seasonal area after The summer people don’t care much for landscaping.

so is it safe to plant arborvitaes right now? What should I consider?

WeedTerminator

LawnSite Member
Rule of thumb is to hold off on planting if you expect a deep freeze in the next 6 weeks. I try to avoid planting anything after November 15th. But sometimes I get customers that understand the risk and still want me to plant. So maybe just educate them and let them decide.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
B&B or are they in containers? You might see decent results if they are B&B but either way I'd wait until spring. If they must go in now wrap them in burlap after freeze up and spray them with that stuff to prevent winteburn. No warranty.

OP
CapeMay609

CapeMay609

LawnSite Member
Rule of thumb is to hold off on planting if you expect a deep freeze in the next 6 weeks. I try to avoid planting anything after November 15th. But sometimes I get customers that understand the risk and still want me to plant. So maybe just educate them and let them decide.
That was my concern. The freeze.

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
So you guys are saying that an arborvitae in a container or burlap can’t be planted now, but it is ok to stay in a container or burlap. How does that make sense? I could see not getting fresh dug trees to plant.
In our area They should be fine to plant. If you have concerns you can water them to reduce desiccation.

OP
CapeMay609

CapeMay609

LawnSite Member
So you guys are saying that an arborvitae in a container or burlap can’t be planted now, but it is ok to stay in a container or burlap. How does that make sense? I could see not getting fresh dug trees to plant.
In our area They should be fine to plant. If you have concerns you can water them to reduce desiccation.
I’ve looked into that as well. Just cautious as I’ve never done this kind of work this time of year

cool breeze

LawnSite Senior Member
If holding off until the spring is an option I would do that, especially if you offer a guarantee. The winter winds are more a concern than the freezing temperatures. The nurseries will also have more and better selections in the spring.

DLL LLC

LawnSite Member
With the mild temps predicted, you should be fine. Last year we did 6 Arborvitaes the day before Thanksgiving, and all survived with no issues. They were somewhat sheltered from wind but ground never really froze last year till way after January.