1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Arborvitae?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Victor, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone recommend an arborvitae species, that's no taller than 10 to 12 feet at maturity (other than degroot arborvitae)? I love the look of Techny's and Emerald Greens, but they get to large for my application. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Vic

2. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

you can always go with the emerald green's and just keep them trimmed back and shaped

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't know arborvitae would tolerate that. :eek: Well.... That means I'll be able to have my cake and eat it too then. Thanks for the help Mike.

Vic

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you wanted one that would max at that height - if such a beast existed - it would be very expensive.

Slow growers cost more.

And you would probably be limited to small plants to start with.

Was there a minimum height that you want to start with?

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Can you scrap the Arbs and substitute Skyrockets or Witchita Blues?

6. sperho

sperho LawnSite Member

I'm very interested in this topic as well. I'm in NE Tennessee (if that matters, climate-wise). I'd like a narrow tree that lives a long time, with a single center trunk, and prunable to keep the height from getting into power lines.

Victor- is your application a screening application? I'm particularly interested in using them as a screen near a border. The narrowness maximizes lawn use and allows planting very near a property line for me.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We used an arborvitae commonly named, "Little Giant", once for this reason. It only grows 6 ft in height and grows extremely slow. Trimming the arborvitaes can cause them to be discolored for a while. It won't harm them, but it is extra work.

8. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

We have used a variety commercialy grown named 'George Peabody'....it is a slow grower.