Arborvitaes and Snow

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by onemanwithatractor, Apr 4, 2018.

1. onemanwithatractor

onemanwithatractor LawnSite Member

I have a customer who's Arbs were damaged with heavy snow. They're leaning significantly and it's been a few weeks. Does anybody have any suggestions/remedies? I know they can be difficult to tie, and even more so to stake. Any advice appreciated picture attached.

Apologize if this is the wrong section. 537.jpeg

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow mine bounced back and I was surprised as they were iced to the ground...but hopefully those will too

3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

I have had success restoring them back. There are a couple routes you can go to save and restore these. If they have multiple trunks, you can get some heavy duty twine. Start at the bottom and tie the string around the biggest trunk. Then start wrapping the twine around all trunks, pulling it together to form it's original shape.

Then a year later cut the twine off and it will have been trained back to the original form and will not need the twine for support.

Here are some videos on this and other versions, some prevetative measures.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    hort101 and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  4. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

Those are leaning so bad it looks like you might have gotten lucky and just the root ball hinged out of the ground instead of snapping the trunk. check if there's any damage to the wood, if not, just re-set them plumb and maybe put a steak to hold it, although those are quite tall and mature seems like the root ball would be more secure.