1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Are any of you fillling out forms to get your fed / state gas taxes refunded?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 23, 2008.

  1. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,373

    I know in MN I can fill out a form to get a refund for my state's gas tax, currently .22 per gallon for anything I use off road.

    Does anyone know if there's a form to fill out for the federal tax as well?

    I figure as of right now, my off road diesel is running right at $4.30 / gallon. Road diesel just went up to $4.75 here yesterday.

    Gas is at $3.85, but if I reduce the state's gas tax, now it drops down to $3.63, and if I could get a refund for the federal tax, it would drop down about another .18, which would almost be $1 per gallon cheaper than the off road diesel.

    If I ran a gas mower at 1/2 gallon more per hour, the rate would be $4.65 per hour at 1.5 gallons per hour, vs $4.30 per hour at 1 gallon for the diesel.

    Just wondering if anyone can lead me in the direction to get an answer about federal gas tax refunds.

  2. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    I already deduct all fuel use from my taxes...
    So I can't get a refund on top of that, I don't think.

    Either how I ain't asking Uncle Sam to bail me out, poor guy.
    That fellow I don't know he does it, everyone always thinks he
    is so rich but that fool's so poor he's trillions deep in the red.
  3. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    Wrong. You can still get the credit for off road use.

    It is form 4136 credit for offroad fuel use. Very long form but simple as you only have to fill in about 5 lines.

Share This Page