Are HOAs always a pain like this?

Mikegyver

LawnSite Bronze Member
So I bagged a customers yard (had about 10-12 bags of leaves) and set them by the curb. I get some texts from my customer saying you need to get these bags out because I'm not supposed to have them out there today. Get a call from the customer while I am walking into a BOD meeting (for an organization I am apart of) and he's like did you get my texts (right after he sent them no less) ....I had just kinda skimmed over them. So turns out the trash day for this HOA is on Monday and trash can only be set out the day before. Well today is Thursday so I am way out of that window. Someone on the HOA board called told him that they really need to be removed. He said HOAs are a major pain. I feel like this is totally un-reasonable. Is this how all HOAs are? I was thinking about starting to bid on some but if this is the way they are maybe not.

On a totally different subject...on of my commercial customers had someone jump the curb, drive 15 feet, take out some bushes, run over some porch furniture, and hit the brick wall of the building. I will post some pictures. People like this need to be taken off of the road

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Old people that live there have nothing better to do with thier time, other than complain. Not sure if you knew when trash pick up was, but its common knowledge that trash can be set out only day before. As much as its a pain to collect debris I'm happy to take it with me because I don't run onto those issues.

I have some realitives who went to an area that pick up debris, they witnessed a company mow and bag a bunch of lawns a street, and after they left a bunch of kids came a destroyed all the bags.
Posted via Mobile Device

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Just the rules....some are tougher than others. They are that way because they are trying to create a clean and put together neighborhood. Try to keep the property values up....its a good thing. Just have to follow the rules they set forth.

Besides, why are you charging them to rake the leaves then just leaving them. Throw them in the trailer and be done with it.

OP
M

Mikegyver

LawnSite Bronze Member
Most of the other companies in that neighborhood bag them. Some take them others put them at the curb. I went without a trailer this week and I figured bagging would be much easier....oh well. 2 weeks ago we loaded them on an already full trailer on a undersized tarp. That was a mess. I should have just thrown them in the back of the truck. Live and learn!

MR-G

LawnSite Senior Member
we bag/bundle most of the debris we collect....and leave for yard waste co. it has become to costly to take to landfills and residents are paying for it in their hoa fees anyway...just have to do those accts. the day you can leave the debris...if we are behind and cant leave it we just take it with us....hoa's can be a pita but are usually good accts......

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
So I bagged a customers yard (had about 10-12 bags of leaves) and set them by the curb. I get some texts from my customer saying you need to get these bags out because I'm not supposed to have them out there today. Get a call from the customer while I am walking into a BOD meeting (for an organization I am apart of) and he's like did you get my texts (right after he sent them no less) ....I had just kinda skimmed over them. So turns out the trash day for this HOA is on Monday and trash can only be set out the day before. Well today is Thursday so I am way out of that window. Someone on the HOA board called told him that they really need to be removed. He said HOAs are a major pain. I feel like this is totally un-reasonable. Is this how all HOAs are? I was thinking about starting to bid on some but if this is the way they are maybe not.

On a totally different subject...on of my commercial customers had someone jump the curb, drive 15 feet, take out some bushes, run over some porch furniture, and hit the brick wall of the building. I will post some pictures. People like this need to be taken off of the road

I think anytime you get more than 1 person makingy decesions its a problem. Even though HOA pay an overall general fees they still feel like each penny belongs to them.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Wait til get one that is always fighting with each other. You are told to do something by the one incharge, and have the rest of them yelling at you, even though they voted to do it. Sometimes I want to flip the tables and have them get piss tests.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wait til get one that is always fighting with each other. You are told to do something by the one incharge, and have the rest of them yelling at you, even though they voted to do it. Sometimes I want to flip the tables and have them get piss tests.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh: so true!

j-ville native

LawnSite Senior Member
I live in a neighbor with lots of rules like that. You can't put out garbage until after 6pm the night before it's picked up. I like the rule because otherwise you'd have people leave their ugly trash cans in the street all week. These stupid rules make the neighborhood a much nicer place. I'd hate it if my neighbors were always leaving rvs parked in front of their house or having yard sales and crap. Thanks to dumb rules, that doesn't happen