Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
The removal of the mulch takes way more time than you think plus you need to depose of it. We charge $118.00/yd. installed. I would charge the same for removal. We charge separately for Preen before mulch. The rock install we try and stay away from but if required be sure to allow for extra time you did not forsee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So just a follow up to the thread. Thanks everyone for the replies. I completed the job.

Talk about work. For anyone who is laying rock, get a dingo if possible. Originally I was supposed to have a helper, figured that into the price so I was good. Well the night before he mess up his foot so it’s all solo.

trimmed the hedges, blew the excess out then layer the mulch. Not so bad. Then I removed the mulch out of the other bed. And the reason I was removing due to a previous reply asking, excess mulch build up after having beenput downtoo thick the previous years. Wel here is where it gets funny I dig out the mulch making good time the pullup old fabric. For half the bed it’s all good the other half I find even more mulch under it. I started looking and dug down a bit more and found more fabric and mulch under that. (Don’t ask me why I do not know.) so thisis about 8 in of mulch. I talked this over with the customer and about potential just putting the rock over the old mulch or pay more for removal. (I am new guys so if that was the wrong thing please let me know but I had to make a decision and went with it) anyways payed the fabric. This was the first real hiccup. Up to this point I was just about on schedule. Took about twice as long due tobeing by nearly and having to cut it around lol the shrubs. But I got it done.
Then the real fun began. Laying the rock. The furthest I needed to take it was abou 100 feet and about 2 ton of rock. So I start moving it by wheel barrow load. I get almost the whole flower bed covered pretty good and then I notice there is even more rock. Like a 1/3 of the pile left. Now due to one end being sloped I could Use that to level it out a bit more and have it full some of the more low spots so it worked out. But I called the rock supplier, now they onlu billed me for 2 ton. But after looking at the sheet they use for how much was given someone messed up and sent me 3 ton.
Oh well enough of my rant and story. At the end of the day I made my hourly rate so I didn’t lose money so I count that as a success there were a lot of things I learned and will help in n future jobs I am lucky enough to get.
Thanks for listening

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like you learned a lot of valuable info from the job. That's the only way to get a feel for this type of job.
I really did. Told my wife looking back there was a few things done differently would have made it easier and less time consuming, and if I had rented equipment for the rock I would honestly had been about the same money wise due to saved time just less back pain.

·
Registered
256 Posts
many of the jobs we undertake in the lawn landscape business are some what unquie and it is with the experience you have just gained that you will become more confident estimating or quoting jobs.
it takes awhile but I have learned err asking a little to much, you can always lower price but is hard time asking for more later.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like a great learning experience, with a good customer allowing you to learn on the job. Those customers are like gold, they trust you to do a good job the way they want it done, and are willing to pay for it. If you price a little higher than you perceive is right and fair you can always do a little extra if the job goes better than expected.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.