• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

Are my numbers out of line

OP
B

BlueSkies

LawnSite Member
Depending on how far you have to move it, it may be worth renting a dingo. Have rock delivered and scoop it up off the driveway.
It’s about 50’ at the furthest point and all level. I really want it delivered just so I do t have to worry about it but the rock she is wanting is harder to find and more expensive at other suppliers. This one is pretty cheap overall but doesn’t offer delivery.

(Now that I think about it it might not be cheaper he charges by the scoop about 1/2 ton if my math was correct. And the other place charged by the ton. Now I need to go do more math. Thanks for making me think about it)

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
It’s about 50’ at the furthest point and all level. I really want it delivered just so I do t have to worry about it but the rock she is wanting is harder to find and more expensive at other suppliers. This one is pretty cheap overall but doesn’t offer delivery.

(Now that I think about it it might not be cheaper he charges by the scoop about 1/2 ton if my math was correct. And the other place charged by the ton. Now I need to go do more math. Thanks for making me think about it)
I may not know all the answers, but I'm learning the right questions. ;)

OP
B

BlueSkies

LawnSite Member
I would pass on the job and have a bigger company deal with it. It looks and sound easy but once, you start to break it down it gets complicated.
Partly why I am doing it. Inhave wanted to get into this side of the buisness but never advertised or put my hat into the ring due to lack of experience business wise. Doing the job when someone else is in charge I have done many times. Just now I HAVE to make all the decisions.
And my client basically drug me through the diet because I said I didn’t have the skill. I quote “how are you going to get it if you don’t start. I am willing to be the test dummy so you can learn and do better by other clients”
That’s partly why I am here just to try and uncover any hidden parts I am missing and making sure my price isn’t out there

cool breeze

LawnSite Senior Member
Don’t let it overwhelm you. It’s really not a complicated job. Just be sure to charge for all your travel time to the dump and suppliers and verify with the client the depth of the mulch and stone to be installed. It sounds like you have a great relationship with the client so I would add on another 10% or so to your final number to give you some negotiation room.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
Partly why I am doing it. Inhave wanted to get into this side of the buisness but never advertised or put my hat into the ring due to lack of experience business wise. Doing the job when someone else is in charge I have done many times. Just now I HAVE to make all the decisions.
And my client basically drug me through the diet because I said I didn’t have the skill. I quote “how are you going to get it if you don’t start. I am willing to be the test dummy so you can learn and do better by other clients”
That’s partly why I am here just to try and uncover any hidden parts I am missing and making sure my price isn’t out there
If you have that kind of relationship, I'd do it for sure. My friends let me learn things on their properties too, and it's been extremely helpful. I did a very small paver stone patio for my old neighbor last spring. I found out doing that kind of work as a solo guy sucks and I didn't like it that much, even though I got paid ok for it. I didn't lose money, but it took much longer than I thought and learned some things along the way.

RCT48161

LawnSite Member
I would pass on the job and have a bigger company deal with it. It looks and sound easy but once, you start to break it down it gets complicated.
Did 12 yards of 1-2 river rock by shovel and wheelbarrow last august in 90 degree weather. The customer was amazed i made it through.... I was amazed too. Damn that was hard work. Came home and passed out every night.

RCT48161

LawnSite Member

Scoops are usually done by the yard at my supplier.

OP
B

BlueSkies

LawnSite Member
Did 12 yards of 1-2 river rock by shovel and wheelbarrow last august in 90 degree weather. The customer was amazed i made it through.... I was amazed too. Damn that was hard work. Came home and passed out every night.
Gives me hope I can get it all done in a day. As I said this is a newer adventure so I wasn’t entirely sure how long it would take. I am not looking forward to the rock portion just because I know that’s going to be actual work.