1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Are my startup costs too high?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheLandscapers, Nov 13, 2012.

1. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Your liability insurance is really high. For my plowing and landscaping 2 million aggregate and 1 mill per occurrence is only $350 for the entire year

2. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Did i miss something? I see trailer registration at the bottom but no price for a trailer...

3. Hamatsa

Hamatsa LawnSite Member

Everyone has good advice. I want to re-emphasize the need for pro grade mowers and handhelds. Read about advertising. Get pro grade lops, saws, pruners, etc. They don't break. Get a couple of tarps for leaves and a pro grade hedgetrimmer. Your fixed costs need to be detailed out more. I would add; Get a decent website. Look at Google Adwords.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Who do you go through?

5. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Your liability insurance and vehicle insurance are through the roof. I pay $400 for commercial vehicle and $250 for 2 mil in liability

6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. McG_Landscaping

Erie insurance
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I think I've been getting the short end. Mine are around 1,200 per truck and 900 for 2 mil. liability. Do you have equip./tools covered under liability policy?

9. McG_Landscaping

Mimimal coverage on equipment. My truck is a whole different story but i have that through erie too. I was quoted $700 by another company
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Are you planning on buying a box truck or landscape body? Only reason I ask is bc I didn't see a trailer on the list unless you already have one......
    Posted via Mobile Device