Are side gate trailer frames re enforced?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ready to Mow, May 2, 2017.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Side gates are great, just because you don't see it does not make it so. Two Walkers . mulch on front , bag on back, both blocked and strapped. Playing musical chairs with 700-1200 pound mowers like you say is is not going to yield a 8-10% tongue weight when you start moving them around for the next job. More equipment gets destroyed in transport than cutting. Each mower needs a spot, needs to be blocked(by law) and the trailer load needs to be balanced for tongue weight. . Swapping mower positions will not cut it . A side gate does not cost 2-3K.

2. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

It costs about 100 bucks, but if you put 1000 pound mower on the front of a stand 2" angle iron 4" tongue it will probably bend eventually.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

What's the trailer GVWR and how much do the rest of your mower's weigh? You can offset that 1000 pound mower by how you load the rest of the triler I have a 3000 lb trailer with a Walker on the tongue but it gets offset with the rest of the mowers. Scrap tubing from a recycler welded to your crossbeams will stiffen that trailer up and prevent twisting which is what kills trailers.

4. Ready to Mow

The z2 weighs like right at 1000 and the gravely 34 and the time master combined weigh about 850. Then maybe 100 for the trash can.

5. Ready to Mow

I notice the gravely kind of bounces a lot if you put it too far back on the trailer. The gravely is backed up and the rear tire is about in the middle of the tandem axles, doesn't seem to bounce much right there. I had it farther back and hit a few bad dips in the road and I swear I saw it bounce 12'' in the air. Although it may have just been the seat.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

The whole thing, we've been reading about it for months now.

7. Ready to Mow

You don't see them because they have to be ordered and most people won't or can't wait two weeks, so they just get what's on the lot.

8. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

The trailer place where I bought mine wanted 750 for the side and rear gate and they were just 4 foot gates.
    For less than halve I made them 6 foot bi fold and the side gate is 72" wide.