Lawn Care Forum banner

Are there any new, great hand wire-strippers?

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Zohan 
#1 ·
I need some new wire strippers. I searched the archives and there was a thread back in 2008. I just wondered if any new strippers have come along.
What's the preference for manual or automatic?

#2 ·
Since 8gauge and pretty much 10 gauge stranded is almost obsolete any stripper will do the trick. I dont use my ideal strip masters as much anymore during service since they are so bulky. But on an instill they are still in my hands. My guys also use them religiously. Ive noticed in last 2 years I only get a season out of them before the nuts fall off the blade side. But for 30 dollars a pair I will keep buying them forever.

Best damn strippers for landscape lighting in the world.

Someone once recommended me (might of been James :canadaflag: ) the irvin auto strippers

I never liked them and have 3 pairs sitting in the office. We use mostly Paige Electric wire btw

#4 · (Edited)
Tried almost all of them (seriously I have) and these are hands down the BEST for the 10/2 to 18/2 stranded wire that we use so much of in our industry.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/self-adjusting-wire-stripper

Why are they the best? Well they will never cut a strand! Even if you try to make them cut a strand they will not. Totally automatic you don't have to fit the wire into specific size cutter. Never a cut strand again.

To those who have tried them and don't like them... well I once watched an electrician try mine out. He put both conductors in the tool and tried to strip them both at the same time. It didnt work too well. He "humph'd" and asked what the big deal was. I then showed him with just one conductor at a time in the strippers.... a perfect job with very little effort. 'Ahhh' He said. :hammerhead:

If you can find identical, generic ones buy them and save some $. I get a generic type at a local hardware store. Each of my guys gets a new one each year and they tend to last about that long.

#5 ·
Tried almost all of them (seriously I have) and these are hands down the BEST for the 10/2 to 18/2 stranded wire that we use so much of in our industry.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/self-adjusting-wire-stripper

Why are they the best? Well they will never cut a strand! Even if you try to make them cut a strand they will not. Totally automatic you don't have to fit the wire into specific size cutter. Never a cut strand again.

To those who have tried them and don't like them... well I once watched an electrician try mine out. He put both conductors in the tool and tried to strip them both at the same time. It didnt work too well. He "humph'd" and asked what the big deal was. I then showed him with just one conductor at a time in the strippers.... a perfect job with very little effort. 'Ahhh' He said. :hammerhead:

If you can find identical, generic ones buy them and save some $. I get a generic type at a local hardware store. Each of my guys gets a new one each year and they tend to last about that long.
The Irwins have a lifetime guarantee and cost about $20. The retailer I bought mine from went out of business, so I couldn't take them back and get an exchange as their website suggested, but a customer service rep told me to send a pic of the broken ones. I did and she notified me they'd be sending a new pair. Received them in 3 weeks.

I bought another pair in the meantime, but I now have a second pair for backup. So keep the tab they come attached to and your receipt just in case. Got my new pair at Sears BTW.

#6 ·
Good info Gregg. Irwin tools are not all that easy to find here in the Great White North. I buy the generic ones for about $12 each and just toss them when they break. I will have to look at sears.ca and see if they sell them with the lifetime guarantee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.