• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Are these new battery powered weed trimmers as good as the gas trimmers?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Bear in mind weed whackers were battery powered BEFORE they came out with little tiny gas powered engines.
battery technology wasn't like it is today and we couldn't fully trim our own property on one charge back then (big place)
But the viability and technology of an electric trimmer predates the gas trimmers and the tech for the gas trimmers was stolen from the electric ones when the 2 cycle power plant proved more viable.

But think about cordless drills and other hand tools like dewalt, they are the main stay of the construction industry, not just a homeowner toy, all the big boys use them.
no difference between swapping out a battery on one of them and swapping one out on a weed whacker.

I had the idea 15 years ago of having a charging bank in your truck, mowers would plug into the truck when they got back from mowing a yard to top off, and likewise with hand held batteries.
I thought of it at the time, because it 'sounded' like they were going to ban gas powered lawn equipment.

battery/recharging tech didn't exist for it back then, but it's pretty close now.
Problem is the truck would need to keep running even while idle (I had diesels in mind) and have a pretty decent alternator…this wouldnt save the earth or any energy costs.

stonny9

LawnSite Senior Member
I have read a lot about electric and was even gonna convert a zero turn but got a like new commercial for cheap. When did Echo come out with a battery line? Does their gas PAS line accessories attach to the electric line? I have edger, pole saw, trimmer, and hedge trimmer attachments. My 225 gas is still in great shape but it could have a non cost effective repair at anytime.

2 Cycle

LawnSite Senior Member
just saw a full echo setup at home depot. Trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer. Don't remember the price but in the $200's each if I remember. Looked like decent quality. I have also seen the dewalt trimmers at lowes. Lot of new products, this will lead to better quality and tech.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 Cycle

LawnSite Senior Member
yeah color me lukewarm on these right now. Don't want to be the first guy in to beta test these lol. I got burned a bit over the winter buying a greenworks 80 volt snowthrower battery powered. Great deal and tons of power but the chute was the biggest POS, literally would not turn the second time I used it. Point is a lot of times the battery and power is fine but to keep weight down these manufacterers are using plastic in not good places. Be nice to hear on the quality of these trimmers
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
G

googles

LawnSite Senior Member
yeah color me lukewarm on these right now. Don't want to be the first guy in to beta test these lol. I got burned a bit over the winter buying a greenworks 80 volt snowthrower battery powered. Great deal and tons of power but the chute was the biggest POS, literally would not turn the second time I used it. Point is a lot of times the battery and power is fine but to keep weight down these manufacterers are using plastic in not good places. Be nice to hear on the quality of these trimmers
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea I agree. I dont want to get burned either and I see how they do after few years of others using them. It would be cool though if they are the new wave of power lawn equipment.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i saw the husqvarna one at my dealer. he pulled the trigger and the thing has power. probably the same as a gas trimmer. it also has a button to push for eco mode where is spins slower. this could be handy in areas where you don't wanna throw grass around everywhere or trimming around delicate things.

you can also switch the direction the head spins depending on which way you like to hold the trimmer.

it only lasts a few hrs i think on the battery but you can buy an optional backpack battery thing and it will pretty much last 6-8hrs if you have that.

it was impressive but it's expensive. the full battery setup is more than double the price of a gas trimmer.

it's cheaper to stick with gas for now. wait several years then the battery stuff will be cheaper to buy. maybe then it will be worth making the swap.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/battery-series/536lil/

i'm not sure how much the backpack battery costs but it's alot.

if you are solo you could probably get by without having to buy the backpack battery. i don't know how long the battery would last though. you may have to buy a new one each year.

Last edited:
OP
G

googles

LawnSite Senior Member
i saw the husqvarna one at my dealer. he pulled the trigger and the thing has power. probably the same as a gas trimmer. it also has a button to push for eco mode where is spins slower. this could be handy in areas where you don't wanna throw grass around everywhere or trimming around delicate things.

it only lasts a few hrs i think on the battery but you can buy an optional backpack battery thing and it will pretty much last 6-8hrs if you have that.

it was impressive but it's expensive. the full battery setup is more than double the price of a gas trimmer.

it's cheaper to stick with gas for now. wait several years then the battery stuff will be cheaper to buy. maybe then it will be worth making the swap.
Which brand did he show you? What is the battery backpack mean? Is it just another battery or a backpack you plug into?
Posted via Mobile Device