Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's just me or this site is getting full of people wanna be, telling they have hundres of customers, tons of equipment, 10+ employees and they can't actually prove it, I don't mind people showing off their equipment, their work

It's there anything that you guys would recommend to spot this people or even better stop'em?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Those with experience usually have something pertinent to say. That's what I pay attention to. A poser is a poser and will show their true colors eventually.

:D

·
Registered
336 Posts
i dont have hundredes of customers, but i wish i did or do i have thousands of dollars worth of mowers but i have been doing this for 6 years now and i love it. it is finally nice to be able to work for myself then a 9-5 job working for some other ------- making them rich

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
truth will out sooner or later. there are alll kinds ,man.... no body knows it all,...
and just about everybody knows something,, that could be helpful to u an to me.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Over the years I have seen many come and go on this site. Some get boared and just quit posting and others get found out. If someone can fake it for a long time they have to be an incredibly good liar or have some kind of knowledge.

Its pitiful that some people actually enjoy being something that they aren't but if you stay on this site a while you will form a list of those who do know the score and are for real and those who are trying to imitate them.

The Membership Benefits area is my suggestion for a good filter from what you are talking about. $60.00 ain't much to anyone but most fakers are not going to fork out bubble gum money just to play on a pay site. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Unless you make each member provide either their business license or a copy of the tax return you aren't really going to find out the pretenders. Even if you make this a pay site some people will still pay even though they do not do this for a living. Free knowledge is given on this site and you have to decide if the information given is from someone in the know or not.

Gravely_Man

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Like others have mentioned.

You can tell who is and who is not.

If your in it and your legit. Then you know who your peers are, and you will certainly know who are the wanna be's.

However though I am uneasy at the fact that any shmow can look through all the forums.

The homeowner forum is all they should be entitled to, unless signing up for all forums with some kind of proof that your in the business. What that proof is? I don't know? I will leave that up to the brain trust here to decide........;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not an LCO, but I'm a contractor with a small backhoe/excavation business. I don't recall how I came across this site, but I've learned a lot about dealing with customers, contracts, business basics and a whole lot more. Lawnsite is a great site with lots of information on issues that I have in common with LCO's. I try to contribute where I can, but I have a lot to learn and in many cases know nothing about the subject being discussed. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I'd be really bummed if I was excluded from the site because I'm not an LCO. My 0.02.

·
Registered
15 Posts
???
I thought this site was here for people to learn and to help others in the business. There will always be those who exagerate what they have or what they do, but to suggest that everyone be only allowed to surf the "homeowner" site because they can't produce the credentials to prove they have a certain amount of accounts or a trailer full of the high dollar equipment? Says a lot about the true colors of many of you here. I have been a silent observer here for a few months now, some stuff I read I agree with and some stuff I don't but nothing has gotten under my skin till now. This just sounds like a "Holier than thou" attitude.
I know it gets old when there are people out there who try to be players, but like you guys have said, it wont take long to figure out who these are. Just ignore them. There are plenty out there like myself whose voice will seldom be heard but are always observing and learning and shouldn't be denied the opportunity to do so just because we don't belong to your "ELITE" little club.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mason,

I have to say I agree with you. I have been a member of this site for a while but don't post a lot. I enjoy the posts and the info other LCO's are givikng and getting. I thought this web site was all about that as well. If you are big LCO you don't have to be throwing it in people's faces all the time but you can repsond to threads in the site. What would be acceptable "proof" to this site. Surely you wouldn't be asking people to post confidential info for proof. Same as you, nothing really has gooten me to post anything negative except for this. I agree people do exaggerate in all areas of life but do we have to post about it. It happens they are not bothering my business when a customer calls.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just me making ends meet with truck, trailer, mowers, etc..... All "pro" equipment. No raise in regular job for 3 years thanks to stagnant manufacturing economy. Grew up on a farm, and spend all day cooped up inside, so working outside seemed like a natural thing to do. Don't know it all, and don't pretend to......

·
Registered
145 Posts
Those with experience usually have something pertinent to say. That's what I pay attention to. A poser is a poser and will show their true colors eventually.
Yeah:D

·
Banned
776 Posts
I am pretty sure I understand what you mean. To me it doesn't matter if somebody has 1,000 accounts, or if they have 5 accounts. Whether they make $5 a year, or if they make $1,000,000 a year. It just doesn't matter. If you are an A-hole you are most likely not worth my time. If you are a liar, you are not worth my time. However, if you are an honest, good hearted, trustworthy person you definately are worth my time. In regards to the whole pictures stuff to back themselves up... a person could easily go and follow a company around, taking pictures of their work (picture stealing has already been proved to exist on this site) It would be easy to go to a lawn mower shop and take pictures of all the machines in the yard which have hours on them, and are in need of being fixed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the clarification AztlanLC. The first thing I thought was that you were thinking about excluding those of us that aren't LCO's. Lawnsite is a great resource and I'd hate to loose access.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I understand that what I had posted earlier has raised a few eyebrows.

And I am glad it did.

True that LawnSite has a general membership where any and all can sign up and have access to the forums. What is also true and seeing by the SPONSORS and ACTIVE members posting is that this site is geared towards the landscape industry, and that will include irrigation.

Personaly I am more than willing to offer advice to anyone. New starters in the business and do it yourselfers. Or even chatting about billing, collections with other contractors other than those in the landscape realm.

However, There are certain aspects of my business and how I do business that is not for public viewing. And others here should be just as guarding as I will be.

With that in mind. I will not respond to topics that I strongly feel should be inside information only.

·
Banned
4,203 Posts
Glan,
My one concern would be how do you prove online that you are legit without giving information that,I personally would never give?I agree with your general thought,but I'm not sure it would be possible. As an example I won't post an equipment list because I believe that is my business,good or bad.Just my thoughts.:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.