are toro commercial mowers really good?

lawnpro@home

LawnSite Member
hi there got through my second year of business with my scag patriot it worked great! its starting to have more problems so im selling it. but i also had a toro recycler that i used for small lawns, up to hours of use a day it still works on 1 0r 2 pulls. as we are getting more clients,(running up on about 60) we need more mowers. because of the reliability of the toro recycler we are looking at toro commercial mowers. I've heard so much about them, they are reliable and the best in design and power, but than i hear mower problems and the decks clumping, the ratio of good to bad reviews is about 75/25. which seem a good number. i am considering the 48" grandstand with the 22 hp kawasaki, toro grandstand 40" with 15 hp kawasaki and toro z master 6000 52 with 24.5 hp kawasaki. is this a good mower brand? all help is needed thx.

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don’t think you can go wrong with toro. At the moment I have scag Deere and a toro grandstand. The grandstand is my favorite mower or all. It’s so nimble, great on hills and really isn’t that bad on wet grass either in my opinion. Mine is a 60inch though so there more opening under there for the grass to discharge.

agm

LawnSite Senior Member
I can only speak for the toro 21's. All my bigger equipment is exmark. To me, the exmark 21 and toro 21 work the same. I have both. I personally dont see a difference in either other than price. Cut quality is great on both. I would just buy which one you can get cheaper. For me its the exmark 21 so i buy those now.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Use high lifts in wet grass, experiment with different engine RPM's while you mow to see what works with different grass species and amounts of moisture.
My Scag works best with high lifts and low amounts of throttle in wet fine stuff like bermuda, like about half throttle. My Grasshopper works best with high lifts and slightly less than full throttle. Wet fescues don't matter, they do pretty good at full throttle part, half whatever, so long as I run high lift blades.

Experiment with different combos and you should be good in wet grass, or as good as it gets...

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Dealer service is key,
I’ve got 2 toro ztrs an exmark ztr and the 30” push mower plus a smaller 21” push mower.
All were purchased new

The first toro mower itself was great, but it had the Kohler EFI with the new horizon technology. That was good until 1800 hours then it blew up.
Kohler replaces it, second engine blew up at 2100, Kohler replaced that, bought another one with the kawi and the new seat, it’s been great.

Exmark (which toro owns) good mower , blew the Kohler on that at like 800 hours, not covered under warranty :dizzy:

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Dealer service is key,
I’ve got 2 toro ztrs an exmark ztr and the 30” push mower plus a smaller 21” push mower.
All were purchased new

The first toro mower itself was great, but it had the Kohler EFI with the new horizon technology. That was good until 1800 hours then it blew up.
Kohler replaces it, second engine blew up at 2100, Kohler replaced that, bought another one with the kawi and the new seat, it’s been great.

Exmark (which toro owns) good mower , blew the Kohler on that at like 800 hours, not covered under warranty :dizzy:
That must have had something to do with model/year if your machine
Toros for a while and they might still; had this weird warranty with a gazillion hours (something like 3000 or 5000) limit on them.

Sounds like exmark has the pound sand warranty , but if you own a horse you can get a discount ! (I never understood the horse connection)

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
That must have had something to do with model/year if your machine
Toros for a while and they might still; had this weird warranty with a gazillion hours (something like 3000 or 5000) limit on them.

Sounds like exmark has the pound sand warranty , but if you own a horse you can get a discount ! (I never understood the horse connection)
That’s the equine discount, it’s like 20% at least I believe, I participated in the fire fighter discount and got 18% off msrp

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Dealer service is key,
All were purchased new

Dealer service is key to an extent. If all my local dealer sales is Cub Cadet, I still am not buying no matter how good he may be.

But I see what you mean, most of these dealers couldn't diagnose a clogged air filter, much less install it without messing it up.