• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Are we professionals?

jcr_17

LawnSite Member
I was reading through the archives and there was a member that did an impeccable job with his striping achievements. I noticed that he stated that there was a professional that did the property next to one that he did and he pointed out that his stripes were more visible. I would consider that member to be a professional as well. What constitutes an individual to be a professional in this industry?

Lombardi

LawnSite Senior Member
If you get paid to do any type of job, you are a professional in that field. Obviously, some will be better than others.

NickN

LawnSite Bronze Member
Here is the dictionary's definition of professional
adj.

1. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
2. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

n.

1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

So,if you're receiving pay for your services,that is one definition of a pro.
If mowing is your livelihood,you are a pro.
If you have great skill and cut better than the average joe,you are a pro.
If you've studied various topics in this industry,you are a pro.
Another thing I think makes one a pro in any business is to seperate yourself from others in that business.You can be a good football player,but not be a pro football player.The pros went that extra mile to achieve professional status.Same with us.If you go the extra mile,more than those around you,then you're a pro. JMHO...