1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Are you familiar with Nandina Domestica (Heavenly Bamboo)?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Mar 2, 2005.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

If you are familiar with this plant check out the one I found! I've never seen one this big in my life. It's friggin' huge! Generally, they get to be 5 or 6 feet tall around here. But this one is truly a monster. I had to take a picture. I took this about 2-3 years ago and still haven't ever seen one as big.

HUGE Nandina.jpg

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! That IS huge! Typically we plant them at 24"-30" and the largest i've seen them are 4'-5', but nothing like that. Could be a good in for Miracle Grow.. :rolleyes:

Chris

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

huge shrub but it needs pruning bad

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Wow! I've never seen one around here in WV over 4-5 feet in height. Most of the nurseries around here carry the 'compacta' variety, and 'woods dwarf'..many are 2-4 feet, but that is huge.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Cut it down below the window sill
    It will look great.

Bad choice of plants for that location

:)

6. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

they get about that big down here pretty frequently.maybe it is a location thing.I guess it does stay warmer down here.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Really? In all my trips I've never seen Nandinas that big anywhere. I haven't been to S.C. but I've been down south a few times and even seen Nandinas in Bahamas and other tropical locations. But I still haven't ever seen them that big.

Anyway, yah, it must be a sun thing. I would guess that one gets all day full hot sun and that's how it got that big. I bet it's a beaty in the fall and winter when it turns bright red.

8. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

Wow. Thats cool I guess that I never thought about them being in tropical places like the bahamas. But yea, I remember trimming some last year in one of my customers yards that I had to use every bit of a 12' ladder and my oscilating stick hedge trimmer and I myself am over 6' tall, so you can imagine how big they were.

9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I've ever seen one that big. It's almost as big as my ex-girlfriend!! We had five kids together but she ate three of 'em!!