1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

are you registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stephen424, Feb 29, 2012.

1. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

The best thing a company could do similair to this is join their local chamber of commerce.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Central NY

I agree. Make LOCAL connections with LOCAL business/ professional people from your area.

3. Greenway Lawn Management

Greenway Lawn Management LawnSite Member

We have had a completely different outcome with the BBB. Just joined 1 month ago and have landed for contract/install jobs. Each customer contacted from BBB.

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Central NY

OK, so I am reminded of this thread this morning while reading an email from the BBB about customers finding my business through the BBB website. SO, I go to the website, as I would if I was a customer. I try to search for my own business, since there is no option for Lawn care, Fertilizing, Lawn mowing, etc, I search under the landscape maint., landscape contractors, landscape architects... And cant find my business. I try using the zip code feature (fine print says the zip code is very specific to only the town of the zip code you type in)- My biz address is of the town where I LIVE, in a very small town on the outskirts of the towns I WORK in, therefore the zip code doesn't help. I search zip codes nearby, nothing. I search larger cities surrounding me, nothing. I cannot locate my business on the BBB website until I type the entire name of my business into the search area. So, unless a potential customer knows exactly the name of my business, they arent going to find me.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

It's nothing short of a scam!!! The consumer thinks that if you're not a member of the BBB you must be a bad contractor or vice versa. It has nothing to do with the quality of a contractor. It is 100% about paying a fee to be a member. SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!