Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between Ariens and Gravely products? Is there a difference between the quality of materials, design, or manufacturing? For example, is there a significant difference between an Areins zoom 50 and a Gravely zt50?

I've been running the heck out of my new Gravely zt 34 since the beginning of the season. The only problem I've had so far was that the wire harness connected to the pto switch worked itself loose. Other than that I have no complaints about it's quality.

I want to upgrade to a 50" deck next season (with limited funds), and it seems like a no brainer to get the Ariens if there is basically no difference between the machines. By difference I'm talking quality, design, etc... not warranties and such.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
There is no comparing the Ariens to the Gravely. They are 2 completely different mowers with the Ariens being a lighter duty mower by far. As an example the Ariens uses a 12 ga. formed deck. The Gravely ZT uses a 10 ga. fabricated deck. There are many reasons the Gravely costs a lot more money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no comparing the Ariens to the Gravely. They are 2 completely different mowers with the Ariens being a lighter duty mower by far. As an example the Ariens uses a 12 ga. formed deck. The Gravely ZT uses a 10 ga. fabricated deck. There are many reasons the Gravely costs a lot more money.
Is the difference pretty much through and through?...frame, spindles, hydros... etc?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree with Richard. My Gravely dealer at one time also sold Ariens. Now Ariens is in the Home Depot. Many companys are doing that. John Deere would be one Example with residential/home owners mowers at Lowes. 2 completly different mowers. If you are wondering I would go and ask your Gravely dealer, I am sure he knows by heart and will show & tell you the difference between the two.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Ariens builds many of the Gravely and Ariens machines in the same factory. The Ariens machines are designed and built for typical homeowner use. The Gravely machines are designed and built for commercial type use. No comparison. When I was a Gravely dealer, Ariens did build some Ariens homeowner machines and put Gravely decals and paint on them. This was so that "Gravely only" dealers would have a line of less expensive homeowner machines to sell. I believe this only lasted a couple of years, and now, there are no machines that are the same, sold under the two brandnames.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You are mistaken. The two models in question are mechanically identical in every way. The only difference is the paint. While I haven't priced those two specific models, I suspect they are the same, as I did price the Max Zoom 60 and ZT 60HD which both came in at $4999.

Where the difference in the lines kicks in is with the Ariens Pro Zoom (Everride?) and Gravely Pro lines (Compact, Pro-Turn, Pro-Ride, and Pro-Master).

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
You are mistaken. The two models in question are mechanically identical in every way. The only difference is the paint. While I haven't priced those two specific models, I suspect they are the same, as I did price the Max Zoom 60 and ZT 60HD which both came in at $4999.
Here's the Zoom 50.

http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/Zooms/l_zoom_50/Pages/default.aspx

It has a 12 ga formed deck, 2.5 gal fuel, 6 mph top speed, 25 Courage engine, EZT transaxle.

Here's the Gravely ZT HD.

http://www.gravely.com/zero-turn-mowers/zt-hd-riding-mower/Pages/default.aspx

It has a 10 ga fabricated deck, 7.3 gal fuel, 8 mph top speed, 24 HP Kawasaki (26 on the 52), Hydrogear 3100 series transaxle.

They are nowhere near the same mower.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Where the difference in the lines kicks in is with the Ariens Pro Zoom (Everride?) and Gravely Pro lines (Compact, Pro-Turn, Pro-Ride, and Pro-Master).
Actually the Ariens Pro Zoom and the Gravely Pro Ride are both the same as the Everride Warrior model. New Holland was (not sure about now) offering a Zero turn that was the EverRide Warrior painted in New Holland Blue colors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Gravely ZT 34 in the Ariens Zoom 34 are essentially the same model with different paint. The only difference is in the horsepower. Gravely has a 21 horsepower versus the Arians with a 19 horsepower both have a Kohler 6000 engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Ariens IKON XL 52 (Kawasaki 23hp; 52" #915223) and the Gravely ZT x52 (Kawasaki 23hp; 52" #915230) are identical, save decals. The Ariens, sold at Home Depot and Lowe's (where I purchased mine 3/18) goes for $2999. whereas the Gravely lists at $3199. The Gravely does come with two accessories, a rubber floor mat ($?) and the hitch kit ($52.95). I assume they are made on the same assembly line; however, when questioning who made them, the internet indicates the Ariens is made by Husqvarna. Strange, because Husky doesn't make anything close to the Ariens/Gravely. Regardless, I did considerable research; and, for a residential mower, Both are as tough as they come, and blows away the 54" Cub RTZ I just sold. The frame and 11 gauge fabricated deck alone move these "residential" beasts into the "commercial" arena (albeit not completely) at a ridiculous price. BTW, Lowe's had two of these Ariens through a fluke, and offered the full military discount. Something Home Depot, who normally stocks them, would not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.