Armada pro800

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by woodlawnservice, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you are trying to find a single cut wire in a multiconductor cable, you need to dial down the transmitter output enough for the fault to quietly display itself. This was always the most difficult part of a locate for me, because the signal leaks from the energized conductor to adjacent conductors, and on higher power outputs, you may never hear an indication of a fault.

2. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

The older I get (and the older some of my systems get) I am meaning to get the Armada Ground fault locator:

http://www.armadatech.com/ground-fault-locators

Two more dead wires at a large HOA-I was able to double up the valves as the main is 3" and zones are only 30-35 GPM and the same-rotors on weather adjusting SL4800 controllers. Doubling up is only a stop gap-I need that Armada and soon!

woodlawnservice likes this.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Love the Green Biz and Sprinkus like this.
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my favorite stories begin with “I stepped outside to take a pee and....” so, many moons ago I was searching for a broken wire under a shopping center parking lot for a customer with my first 521.

The maintenance crew was already figuring on cutting a long strip in the blacktop and replacing the wires between the controller and the first island. They just wanted assurance the wire compromise was inaccessible otherwise. I remember it being 3-18 strand runs from the clock.

I traced the wire to the same point they’d lost signal (about 50’) so I marked the spot with chalk. I then proceeded to a junction box in an island and began tracking the wire back. I located the wire just past the chalk mark I’d made so I made a second mark on the pavement with my chalk. The difference between the 2 marks was about 3 feet so the maintenance crew and I started talking this over.

Now you’ve got a couple guys who want to sawcut the strip out, a couple who want to go battery ops, one who says I’m nuts, the boss who wants a solution and me who wants paid. I retraced the path from both ends arriving at the same place each trace. Then it hit me :hammerhead:

I measured the depth of the wire path which was around 18”, split the difference between my original marks and drew a 9” radius off the center mark. They cut the asphalt 12”x12”, dug down and found the compromise.

Direct buried was a bunch of splices along with 2 wires that had never been hooked together. That shut ‘em up :) and I got paid.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I love a story with a happy ending. payup

hort101, 1idejim and woodlawnservice like this.
  6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Were the wires in question the 2 that had never been connected? If so how far apart were they?

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they were, only opens in the run, less than an inch.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

So how did you identify them with the 521, sound off sort of like a valve?

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The same as I would with a pro 800/900 or any other locator. Watch the video, it’s pretty much self explanatory.

I’ve a basically brand new GFL-3000 gathering dust in the shop as I do most of my fault finding with my 800 or my 900 locators.

Locating ends of wires, cut wires, splices etc is relatively easy to learn if you set up an above ground course so you can actually see what the locator is seeing when you can’t.

10. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

An above ground course is a good idea. What I was thinking for the OP to learn the locator, another idea is go to a site that you installed and still remember where everything is. Can’t really simulate breaks or faults, but doing that is a quick way to learn what’s “normal” which makes it a lot easier to identify the not normal when going to an unknown with issues.