Armada pro800

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by woodlawnservice, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

I like the idea of going to a site where one knows the wire runs-
    I've used this when training techs that were also on the installation.

To simulate a break I have them trace one of the spare wires in the multi-wire.

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Above ground courses suck in many ways but they have their place in training.

Locating known courses is great but the tech can’t actually see what the receiver is seeing.

I could have videoed buried wire but it is much more important you see what’s going on as you walk past a cut/broken wire.

Sure you can, in the video I simulated a broken/end of wire situation and located it precisely.

After locating for somewhere around 20 years I’ve learned there’s not really a “normal” but rather constants.

There are certain expectations one should have in regard to signal applications, distortions, grounds and power, interference from outside influences.

If you notice in the video, the signal response was different on the right side of the wire path than the left. I expected this due to steel fence posts and barbed wire fence on the right. I expected a certain amount of distortion and was not surprised.

If you guys are teaching others basic locating I would suggest you first teach them basic electricity.

Too many techs are turned loose with a locator thinking they’re locating wires and solenoids rather than electromagnetic fields. Once a tech learns they’re locating EMF and they have an understanding of basic electricity these techs improve much quicker and become more accurate which, makes them worth more to you.

I’m a bit wore out so I hope I didn’t step on any toes and piss anyone off, that’s not my intention.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Without a path to earth there’s no definitive way to pinpoint a broken wire, I stuck the wire I was locating in the dirt to achieve a path to earth.

4. Love the Green Biz

I let them "get the feel" of the signal changing to generalize an area where the wire ends. Granted an open wire not in the dirt wire will not be definitive-just close to the end. And a partial open has it's own take-and not a very good one. Too much underground electric around here and the 800D does help somewhat but not always.

Have you used that 3000 recently? I'm still thinking of getting one when the distributors offer end of year specials.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I seldom use it as I can find cuts / wire ends with either the 800 or 900 reliably. I do take it with me on larger jobs but most times I find the problem while troubleshooting.

I would suggest you invest in the 3000 since you’re using Tech’s, might save you a lot in the long run.

6. Love the Green Biz

Thanks.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You’re welcome

8. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

First day using the 800... customer needed wire traced and valves located.. no clue where any of them are.... went ok.... I wanted to trace wire path first.. but my ground lead from the reciever wouldnt reach the soil from his controller ... to short... so I improvised, used an extension cord to make it longer... it worked...
    Traced the path until it just dropped off... weird spot I thought in my head because typically we dont use manifolds here and bury valves along the mainline and there was alot of yard left to follow wire to.. so I thought.... so I hooked up my common and wire color that was supposed to be my furthest zone away.... tracedalong my path and bam... at the end of the run I found 4 valves in 2 small 6" boxes! A manifold setup . Swapped wires on my reciever and found my first 4 midway down the path . Worked great for my first go. Took prob 45 min or so.. I'll get faster I'm sure....

Hes got 2 zones that show fault on controller... I'm going to see if I can find where on the line it faults at.. more studying to do in order to know how to setup my reciever for this

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  9. Love the Green Biz

The faults that the controller shows are probably solenoid issues not wire run faults. Check your ohms with a multi meter to verify this and if so replace the solenoids on the two valves.

10. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, cut/open connections don't fault most controllers. It's almost always a short solenoid