Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to here some comments on articulating hedge trimmers from anyone that uses or has one. I'm considering two brands.. Stihl and Shindaiwa before making a purchase. I like the Shindaiwa, but I've been hearing some comments about Shindaiwa quality going down hill lately. I've used a lot of Stihl equipment in the past and generally had great service from their equipment. Any advice from experience?

· Registered
903 Posts
I have the shin. combo articulating trimmer and I looked at this unit vs. the sthil and this one articulates something like 180 degrees vs. 90 degrees for the sthil. ( these numbers are just from memory so they may be off a bit)Have had know trouble with it what so ever starts the first time. It also has stainless blades and I don't think the sthil does. My opinion the way to go? Shindiawa. :)

· Registered
285 Posts
I have the echo hca 2400 long reach articulators. I find that I use them for everything now except for the smallest of shrubs or real tight quarters. Mine only articulate in one direction, but I understand the shidiawa's articulate 180. If I was buying a new pair those are what I'd get.

· Registered
966 Posts
i have the shindaiwa m231 with the hedge clippers.man is that setup heavy,but it works great on taller shrubs and hedges.im not the type of person that likes going on ladders.it does a great job shaping.

· Registered
569 Posts
The only thing I use to hedge shrubs is the shindaiwa articulating hedge trimmers. I love them, even on small hedges. And being able to fold the head all the way down to the shaft, makes it easyer to put on the trimmer rack.

· Banned
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
being able to fold the head all the way down to the shaft, makes it easyer to put on the trimmer rack.
Oh! I was wondering why anyone would want 180 degree articulation. Thanks for the posting.

Dave

· Registered
3 Posts
I too have the Shindiwa articulating hedge trimmer attachment for my t230 and I love it. It gives an awesome cut and I have used it to trim stuff as big as lilac branches. I don't even carry a ladder around now it is so convient, I have used it more times than I would have ever thought.
Later, Justin

· Registered
1,422 Posts
I have the articulated hedge trimmer attachment for my Shindaiwa T230 and it is a marvelous tool. It makes trimming much easier than with a handheld and what I like a lot about it is the fact that you are standing further away from a shrub/hedge and thus you get a much better perspective of your work.

· Registered
402 Posts
we run all shindaiwa except for our pole pruners. our pole pruners are stihl and have the articulating head option. they move from 0-90 degrees and come in very handy for taller shrubs and trees. it only takes about 30seconds to switch out the chainsaw head for the trimmer head. for smaller plant material, we use hand held shindaiwa power trimmers.

· Registered
89 Posts
I'm also considering the purchase of the Shindaiwa model. Any feedback would be very appreciated.

TIA

-=KC=-

· Registered
117 Posts
As everyone has said both great, Shindaiwa AH230 and Stihl Combi System used here.

I find the Shin excellant on shrubs and privet hedges but use the Stihl for Hawthorn and tougher shrubs.

Great 180 on the Shin and also the fold down caperbility, you don't knock into things when walking etc.

Love the way the Shin starts every time, I have the usual problem with all my Stihl lovely running once you get them started!!!

· Registered
54 Posts
Don't but the sthil combo set up... Buy the sthil FS 85 and then by the attachments... the split shafts are heavier and there's just another connection that has to be made which could cause problems in the future, loss of hp also.
It may take about a minute longer to change the attachment verses the split shaft but the weight saving is crucial when using it with the hedge-trimmer attachment.
Please understand this is just my opinion!

· Registered
332 Posts
I have the a Stihl FS85 attachment, and I LOVE IT!. I could not believe how much power it had and how easy it was to use compared to my standard Stihl hedge trimmer. My arms are not sore from holding it in goofy positions and such. Stihl all the way!

· Registered
89 Posts
Great info here people - thank you!

This type of professional information from those warriors on the front lines such as yourselves makes ALL the difference in the world as to 'what I should do' when their is a tough decision to be made that is a costly one.

-=KC=-

· Registered
251 Posts
Dear Dennis shin ah230 is the way to go.Had mine for 4-5 years now runs great.The reason I like it so much is the second time I was using it and it was all shiny and new I hit a chain hidden in the headge. Thought I flippin ruined the thing. It sickened me an the clients kids learned some new words. The blades bound into almost 90 degrees I reefed the chain out and blades staitened out without breaking a tooth. Kept on pruning.Still have the same blade on her.Just sharpen them from time to time with the dremel. Oh ye wile I'm at it try this get a spray bottle and fill it half with atf and half with paint thinner. The blades love that they seem to stay cleaner longer + lubricated. my free advice ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.