1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Artillery Fungus

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheMom, Jun 9, 2002.

1. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

No direct experience but I'm aware of it. I will say this, you should only buy mulch from trusted, proven and reliable sources. There's a lot of 'funky' shredded hardwood lurking around...especially in Northern Kentucky :)

Avoid foul smelling mulch when possible and be careful about batches that come from a 'new' source. Other than that, make sure you've got plenty of General Liability and mulch away!

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Here is sheet from Penn State about fungus in mulch.

http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/PLANT/ext/mulchfun.html

Additional comments by Cornell indicate that the shotgun/artillary fungus seems to come more from wood based mulch (groung up pallets that are dyed) versus bark mulch.

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/mushroom/artfungus/artilleryfungus.htm

I attended a lecture at Secrest Aboretum a year or two ago where OSU has been testing composts and mulches. It's a several year study in progress if I recall.

The basic finding about fungus and mulch at this point if I remember correctly is that it is very important to make sure the mulch remains moist for a week or so after installing it so that bacteria will colonize the mulch. Otherwise the fungus will take over rapidly and you'll have a higher incident rate of shotgun and dog vomit type funguses. So - the advice is to water your mulch after you install it (or instruct your customers to water the mulch much like they would a new turf seeding). Also make sure you buy BARK mulches, not wood mulches which are often less expensive.