1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ask the Expert Q&A with Ken Hutcheson of U.S. Lawns: February 18, 2016

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

I'll try and answer the questions to the best of my ability. U.S. Lawns services regional accounts of which our franchisees participate in. We are very proud of our success rate and additional information can be found in our franchise disclosure document. If you are interested in reviewing our disclosure document which includes our franchise agreement, please contact our franchise recruiting team at www.uslawns.com/franchise.

2. Ken Hutcheson

Equipment is an operating expense to your business. Since cash is king when running a business, consider financing or leasing your equipment as long as the term is no longer than the useful life of the equipment.

3. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is one distinct advantage U.S. Lawns has over any other lawn care franchise?

4. Ken Hutcheson

We are a landscape company that chose to service our customers through franchising; not a franchise company that chose to jump into the landscape industry. We believe deeply that we can best serve our franchisees and customers due to our 30 year green industry commitment.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The reason I was asking is I have a teen age son and I would be willing to invest in a turnkey business that has a realistic chance of longevity.

Truthfully I don't think you answered my questions with your best ability. Certainly you know the success after 2 year and 5 years of your "joiners/franchieses" or what ever the term you use is?

Last I looked the investment was 110,000 so what does that exactly entail?

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some states are experiencing a larger "green initiative" by banning/or severely restricting the use of pesticides/herbicides.

Does U.S. Lawns teach their franchisees the organic side of lawn care fertilizer etc.?

If so; how would you rate those teachings and effectiveness for the franchisees? on a 1-10 scale?

7. Ken Hutcheson

I respect the fact that you have a teenage son that you are trying to lead into such a great industry. I also respect your choice to investigate the U.S. Lawns opportunity. Please understand that it is a mutual qualification process and not everyone is suited to wear the Star. We owe it to the existing franchisees (and our customers) in the system to select the best and brightest.

Our franchise fee is between $22,000-$32,000, depending on whether or not you are a conversion. Our total investment is between $32,800-$79,300. However, a significant amount of that investment can be financed through our partners (trucks, equipment, etc.), while the franchise fee itself is financed through U.S. Lawns.

What do you get for your investment? Access to a well known industry leading brand, including: all of our proven systems, proprietary tools, training, and personal one on one coaching in the field. The list can go on but this is just a snapshot.

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

10-minute notification: Please get any final questions in.

9. Ken Hutcheson

Traditional lawn care (chemical applications) is only a small part of our business. Even so, we feel strongly about our obligation to protect the environment, therefore we provide guidance and instruction to our franchisees on the proper usage of products. As far as our effectiveness, I don't want to speculate and will let the success of our franchisees speak for itself.

10. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

What is the greatest challenge Lawn Care companies face today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.