Ask the Expert Q&A with Ken Hutcheson of U.S. Lawns: June 29, 2016

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

How do I find and keep quality employees? How do I grow my business from residential to commercial clients? Get your top business questions answered by longtime green industry veteran Ken Hutcheson in our Ask the Expert event. He will be live for a two-hour Q&A session to answer questions about your unique landscaping business challenges.

Who?
    Ken Hutcheson joined U.S. Lawns in 1995, nurturing the company into a multi-state franchise operation. Since becoming President in 2002, he has grown U.S. Lawns into the largest commercial grounds care franchise in the nation.

When?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016

What Time?
    12:00-2:00 P.M. ET

Where?
    Here! Bookmark this thread and join Ken right here for the live chat event.

As the largest online community for landscaping professionals, LawnSite invites you to the second installment in the Ask the Expert series, where you can get advice from industry experts in a live Q&A forum, brought to you by U.S. Lawns.

You must be a registered user of LawnSite to participate in the Ask the Expert events. Create your free account now.

2. Michael J. Donovan

Hello and welcome to the LawnSite Ask the Expert event, sponsored by U.S. Lawns. You must be a registered member to participate in today’s Ask the Expert event. Click here to create your free account now. Also, please remember to refresh the page to keep updated with the comments on the thread.

These live Q&A sessions are a chance to get your burning business questions answered by leading green industry experts. Today, we’re honored to have Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, back for another two-hour session.

Born and raised near Orlando, Hutcheson graduated from the University of Florida with a B.S. in Horticulture. From there, he cultivated a thriving business in interior plant design, which he franchised in the 1980s. Ken joined U.S. Lawns in 1995, nurturing the company into a multi-state franchise operation. Since becoming President in 2002, he has grown U.S. Lawns into the largest commercial grounds care franchise in the nation. Ken is an esteemed public speaker, renowned innovator and franchising expert. He sits on the Accredited Snow Contractors Association (ASCA) Board, and has been honored with the prestigious Lawn and Landscape Leadership Award. In 2013, he achieved his longtime dream of completing the Boston Marathon.

3. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

Thanks, Mike. I’m honored to be here today to answer questions. Looking forward to a great discussion.

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
  4. Cuttgrass

Cuttgrass LawnSite Member
    from 7

Do US Lawns franchisees participate in E Verify? Is that part of the business model?

5. Cuttgrass

from 7

jem7* likes this.
  6. Ken Hutcheson

While we are waiting for questions, let me ask you a question. What is the greatest challenge you face in your business today: Finding work or finding employees?

JLSLLC likes this.
  7. Ken Hutcheson

We encourage our franchisees to abide by all applicable local, state, and federal requirements in regards to employee management.

8. Cuttgrass

from 7

I had a question...is an answer forthcoming?

9. Michael J. Donovan

Cuttgrass, see Ken's response above Thumbs Up

10. Cuttgrass

from 7

No E Verfy. Good otherwise labor is very hard to come by. Are accounts primarily commercial or residential? If a mix, what is standard ratio? Do some/any/most provide hardscape installations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.