Ask the Expert Q&A with Ken Hutcheson of U.S. Lawns: June 29, 2016

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

The system we use takes into account measurements, production rates, frequency, and cost to operate.

2. David Thornton

David Thornton LawnSite Member

I am not familiar with the term "production based estimating." Can expand on that?

3. Ken Hutcheson

Sure. We measure the property based on the tasks we are going to perform (mowing, edging, etc.) and use production rates based on the equipment/task to calculate how long it is going to take us to service.

4. Cuttgrass

Cuttgrass LawnSite Member
    from 7

Once you land an account, what steps do you take to ensure getting started on the right foot?

What is the #1 challenge (labor, competition, etc.) in the commercial business?

5. Ken Hutcheson

Starting a customer off on the right foot is critical. You only have one chance to make a first impression. The goal is to honor the promises you made to the customer during the sales process. We use a documented process to ensure our crews fully understand the expectations of the new customer, then follow up with the customer after every service for the first 30 days to ensure we are meeting those expectations.

jem7* likes this.
  6. David Thornton

David Thornton LawnSite Member

Would you be willing to provide an example? If it were a small place and had 1,500 square feet of grass surface? Do you also measure the edging and trimming footage? Just trying to understand it better. Thanks.

7. Cuttgrass

Cuttgrass LawnSite Member
    from 7

Is this webinar still on? As there are only 2 participants I had hoped for a quicker pace on answers.

8. Ken Hutcheson

"What is the #1 challenge (labor, competition, etc.) in the commercial business?"

The #1 challenge in any service business is your ability to build and manage a team. We think it starts with recruiting the right employee and continues with transferring your company's culture to that person. Then you must activate and empower them to carry out the mission. Otherwise, your business becomes too dependent upon YOU.

9. Ken Hutcheson

Yes, we would measure the turf. Then we would measure the linear footing of the areas to be edged, and continue with each additional task/functions that needs to be done, such as: string trimming, bed maintenance, etc.

10. Ken Hutcheson

I am trying to be both thoughtful and thorough with my responses. I also don't claim to be the world's fastest typist.

While there are only a few active participants, I know there is a large number of people tuned in.

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.