Lawn Care Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask the Expert with Koch: Fertilization Strategies for Success

24K views 90 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike_LS 
#1 ·
What's in the bag of fertilizer you buy? By using enhanced efficiency fertilizers (EEFs), you can do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Not sure where to start? Get your questions answered by the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in our latest Ask the Expert event. Koch experts will be live on LawnSite for a two-hour Q&A session to discuss the performance advantages of using EEFs, how to get more from the nitrogen you use, plus answer all your questions about fertilization and nutrient management. Added bonus: Participants will be invited to download a FREE handbook on enhanced efficiency fertilizers.

Who?
Eric Miltner, agronomist with Koch Turf & Ornamental and John Meyer, senior regional sales manager with Koch Turf & Ornamental

When?
Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017

What Time?
12-2 p.m. ET

Where?
Here! Bookmark this thread and join the experts from Koch Turf & Ornamental right here for the live chat event.

As the largest online community for landscaping professionals, LawnSite invites you to the latest installment of Ask the Expert, where you can get advice from industry experts in a live Q&A forum, brought to you by Koch Turf & Ornamental.

You must be a registered member of LawnSite to participate in the Ask the Expert events.
Create your free account now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the LawnSite Ask the Expert event, sponsored by Koch Turf & Ornamental. You must be a registered member to participate in today's Ask the Expert event. Click here to create your free account now. Also, please remember to refresh the page to stay updated with the comments on the thread.

These live Q&A sessions are a chance to get your questions answered by leading green industry experts. Today, we're honored to have Eric Miltner and John Meyer of Koch Turf & Ornamental for a two-hour session on fertilization and nutrient management. Be sure to use the form on the right side of the screen to sign up to receive a FREE downloadable handbook on enhanced efficiency fertilizers by Koch Turf & Ornamental.

Eric Miltner is an agronomist with Koch Turf & Ornamental. He coordinates field research and provides technical support on fertilizer technology and use both within Koch Agronomic Services and externally with customers, turfgrass managers and other industry interests. Dr. Miltner earned his Ph.D. at Michigan State University, B.S.A. and M.S. degrees at the University of Georgia, and is a Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) through the American Society of Agronomy.

John Meyer is a senior regional sales manager with Koch Turf & Ornamental. With more than 40 years of experience in the green industry including owning a lawn care company, Meyer now provides expertise and support for the Western U.S. and Canada on fertilizer technology, use and formulation for all enhanced efficiency fertilizers in Koch Agronomic Services' product portfolio.

Welcome, Eric and John.

#30 ·
Slow release is one type of EEF. This includes products like methylene ureas and sulfur coated fertilizers.

Controlled release (polymer coated) is a second type of EEF. These have more longevity options and a greater level of control vs slow release.

The third group is Stabilized Nitrogen (often called inhibitors).

They all work a little differently.

#31 ·
Im in Northern Minnesota. wanting to get in weed control as well as fertilization. could you give me a good idea of what products need to be used? how many applications? what each product will do for the lawn? Where can I buy my products? ect... I really don't know a ton about the fertilization and weed control part of lawn care so I figured this is a great place to start. thank you!

#57 ·
We also make methylene urea (Nutralene) and UF (Nitroform) products. I woudl say that every prodcut has a fit. You need to understand how they work and use them accordingly.
These products release due to microbial activity, so a lot depends on the soil and other environmental conditions. Release rates can vary widely with temperature (slow when cool, faster when warm). Polymer coated fertilizers also respond to temperature changes, but not as drastically. In addition, with PCUs you can get a choice of longevities, from 2 to 6 month, possibly longer. Ther is some choice with MU/UF, but not as much. Stabililized Nitorogen (inhibitors) and sulfur coated fertilizers are less temperature dependent, so can be a good choice in cooler months.

Product choice all has to do with your objectives

#55 ·
I have to step away for 30min, so I want to ask 3 questions at the same time to give me a chance to get them in before the forum closes...take your time:
1. Recommended rate to spray nitrogen per 1,000sqft in order to get 7weeks of nutrient retention?

2. Necessity in quantity and timing of phosphorus and potassium?

3. Is liquid iron a waste of money on tall fescue, or is there a good time of year in ohio to spray & what rate?

#60 ·
Grass Goof:
1. I would recommend spray UFLEXX that has been melted down (solubilized). 1.0 lbs of N from UFLEXX will get you 6 to 8 weeks of color.
2. Check your soil tests to see if you need P and K. Potassium is more mobile than P and may need to apply more frequently. Check your soil tests.
3. I am not a big fan of iron. It is short lived. I know on golf courses superintendents spray it all the time before big events to "darken" the green. On home lawns probably not necessary. It does not last very long in the plant.

#65 ·
Eric, are you suggesting applying double the usual amount of fertilizer in the spring--and planning on the nitrogen to last until July?
If so--then how to apply it without double crabgrass control as pre-emergent?

Wait...to do this an see the answers--do I have to click the back arrow and then...come back to page 6? Right?

#68 ·
Apply an extended longevity product at a higher rate and less frequently can have a lot of advantages. Fewer applications (re-allocate labor to other services), save fuel, save time, save wear and tear on equipment, and others.
Depending on the product you currently use, you probabaly wouldn't want to apply the same thing at a higher rate. Rate needs to be matched with product longevity. If yo want to use an extended longevity controlled release fertilizer, you woudl need to talk to your distributor about options. Adding herbicided complicates the registration process a little. The may have something that fits your need, or they may need to develop and register something new.

#69 ·
Keeping a tight handle on costs is important in maintaining profitability. How can buying more expensive fertilizer help a lawn care or landscape management business?

also, is it better to spread granular fertilizers or spray?

#72 ·
It is important to understand what is in the bag of fertilizer that you buy, and how it works. Some fertilizers simply work better than others. ENhanced Efficiency products get more N into the plant for example. The bag may be more expensive, but if it is more efficient and you can use less, then you buy fewer bags. The math may work in your favor.

Also, making fewer applications (3 vs 6 per year) can also save a lot of time/money. It also might help address the issue of finding and keeping qualified labor. A controlled release fertilizer can help you do this. The bag may be more expensive, but the "cost per day of green" might be lower than a less expensive fertilizer.

#75 ·
It depends. When spraying fertilizer you can also add liquid herbicides to control weeds. Now you can also spread granular fertilizer with post emergent herbicide impregnated on the fertilizer. One is not necessarily better than the other. You can apply longer lasting granular products when you use our Duration 90 and Duration 120 day products. Is one cheaper than another. Always a good question. You get what you pay for. I always look at the COST per DAY of GREEN. Our Duration 90 and 120 cost more than straight urea. On a cost per day of green we are less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.