Ask the Expert with U.S. Lawns: Conquer Your Staffing Challenges

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

How do I find and keep quality employees? Should I pay my employees more? Get your top staffing questions answered by Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in our latest Ask the Expert event. He will be live for a two-hour Q&A session to answer questions about your staffing challenges and other hot topics.

Who? Ken Hutcheson joined U.S. Lawns in 1995, nurturing the company into a multi-state franchise operation. Since becoming President in 2002, he has grown U.S. Lawns into the largest commercial grounds care franchise in the nation. 

When?
     Tuesday, October 11, 2016 

What Time? 12:00-2:00 P.M. ET

Where? Here! Bookmark this thread and join Ken right here for the live chat event.  

As the largest online community for landscaping professionals, LawnSite invites you to the third installment in the Ask the Expert series, where you can get advice from industry experts in a live Q&A forum, brought to you by U.S. Lawns. Stay tuned for our next Ask the Expert event on November 9, 2016.

You must be a registered user of LawnSite to participate in the Ask the Expert events. Create your free account now.

2. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the latest LawnSite Ask the Expert event, sponsored by U.S. Lawns. You must be a registered member to participate in today’s Ask the Expert event. Click here to create your free account now. Also, please remember to refresh the page to keep updated with the comments on the thread.

These live Q&A sessions are a chance to get your burning business questions answered by leading green industry experts. Today, we’re honored to have Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, back for a two-hour session on staffing issues and other hot topics.

Born and raised near Orlando, Hutcheson graduated from the University of Florida with a B.S. in Horticulture. From there, he cultivated a thriving business in interior plant design, which he franchised in the 1980s. Ken joined U.S. Lawns in 1995, nurturing the company into a multi-state franchise operation. Since becoming President in 2002, he has grown U.S. Lawns into the largest commercial grounds care franchise in the nation. Ken is an esteemed public speaker, renowned innovator and franchising expert. He sits on the Accredited Snow Contractors Association (ASCA) Board, and has been honored with the prestigious Lawn and Landscape Leadership Award. In 2013, he achieved his longtime dream of completing the Boston Marathon.

3. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

Thank you Michael. Looking forward to a lively discussion today.

4. Ken Hutcheson

The topic today is staffing. Are you finding it more challenging now than in the past to find good employees?

5. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

Yes - In my area good help is hard to find

6. Bowmans Best

Bowmans Best LawnSite Member

Here in Wilmington NC it is almost impossible to find people that actually want to work, no matter what we offer as incentives. We have run out of places to even place an ad for employees.

7. Ken Hutcheson

I hear that a lot; what are you doing to recruit good employees?

8. C&C Landscaping

Our business is going through alot of growing pains but is up 66% this year. With these growing pains there isn't enough moneys to fully compensate our top employees, but I see this getting better next season

9. Bowmans Best

Bowmans Best LawnSite Member

Ken, we have a continuous presence on Craigslist, we post in the local unemployment office, several staffing agencies and a community board posting. We offer our current employees a bonus if they bring in someone as well.

10. C&C Landscaping

I'm trying to train our employees to move them into a crew leader position. We can't seen to find good crew leaders off the street. Most people we interview for crew leaders are over qualified and we cant justify their wage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.