Ask the Expert with U.S. Lawns: Conquer Your Staffing Challenges

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowmans Best

Bowmans Best LawnSite Member

I would love a list of best practices for hiring and retaining employees. Something that has worked for some other companies. We are a small company on the cusp of being able to really expand if we could only stay staffed. Any ideas and tips would be appreciated.

2. Brothers Outdoor World

Brothers Outdoor World LawnSite Member

im late to the party...I apologize if this has been addressed. My issue right now is getting current employees to expand their skill set. Outside training, workshops, classes, certifications, etc.

Bowmans Best likes this.
  3. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

Have you asked the employees that are leaving, why? You may surprised at what you hear. Are you confident your crew leaders are treating the new employees respectfully when you are not around? Is the new employee given the worst tasks on the job? I said this earlier, you may want to consider offering incentives to your crew leaders for retention.

Bowmans Best likes this.
  4. Ken Hutcheson

At U.S. Lawns, we strongly believing in developing our employees. We recognize that we need to take a base level worker and convert them to a professional gardener in a short period of time. To accomplish this, we offer both classroom and field level training and certification. We also host a series of group, regional and national meetings to further advance the skills of our team.

For you, I recommend reaching out to your local suppliers, your ag department, and NALP. These are great sources of information.

jem7* likes this.
  5. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have asked some of the better one's why they left. I get all types of answers from them from money, different field because the work in our industry is so demanding to less travel to and from the shop etc. I had only one tell me it was because of their crew leader and he has been addressed about it. Seem like the pool we have to draw from here that they dont need a reason so to speak. It to hot, i need to babysit, wife didn't want me to work ect.

Bowmans Best likes this.
  6. Brothers Outdoor World

Brothers Outdoor World LawnSite Member

I dont have a problem finding additional education venues. I cant seem to get our guys to attend. Its a struggle finding employees so I cant justify giving them the ultimatum of termination.

7. Ken Hutcheson

High level answer ... tell a compelling story. Everyone wants to be part of a winning team. Is that your story? Do people want to associate with your business.

On a more tactical level ... we've seen great success with a grassroots type campaign. Get back to the basics. Are your trucks and trailers logo-ed. Are your employees in uniform? The type of work that you do and your quality sends a strong message to the market. There is also great opportunity on the digital front. What does your online message say about you? Targeting messaging is also important.

8. Ken Hutcheson

We've always tied advancement to education. Advancement brings higher pay and more responsibility. That leads to increased participation.

9. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Ken,

here's something that has been discussed many times here, but still not easy to handle...as the minimum wage continues to rise, can you discuss how small business owners can determine fair and competitive wages to pay employees?

10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hi all, here’s a quick time check. We are approaching the last 10-minutes of the Ask the Expert event. Please get your final questions in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.