Ask the Expert with U.S. Lawns: Make Money All Winter

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

How do I keep employees busy all winter? Get your off-season staffing and business questions answered by Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in our latest Ask the Expert event. He will be live for a two-hour Q&A session to answer questions about your seasonal challenges and other hot topics.

Who? Ken Hutcheson joined U.S. Lawns in 1995, nurturing the company into a multi-state franchise operation. Since becoming President in 2002, he has grown U.S. Lawns into the largest commercial grounds care franchise in the nation.

When?
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016

What Time?
    12:00-2:00 P.M. ET

Where?
    Here! Bookmark this thread and join Ken right here for the live chat event.

As the largest online community for landscaping professionals, LawnSite invites you to the latest installment in the Ask the Expert series, where you can get advice from industry experts in a live Q&A forum, brought to you by U.S. Lawns.

You must be a registered user of LawnSite to participate in the Ask the Expert events.
    Create your free account now.

JLSLLC likes this.
  2. Michael J. Donovan

Hello and welcome to the latest LawnSite Ask the Expert event, sponsored by U.S. Lawns. You must be a registered member to participate in today’s Ask the Expert event. Click here to create your free account now. Also, please remember to refresh the page to keep updated with the comments on the thread.

These live Q&A sessions are a chance to get your burning business questions answered by leading green industry experts. Today, we’re honored to have Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, here for a two-hour session on how to get through the winter off-season, plus other hot topics.

Born and raised near Orlando, Hutcheson graduated from the University of Florida with a B.S. in Horticulture. From there, he cultivated a thriving business in interior plant design, which he franchised in the 1980s. Ken joined U.S. Lawns in 1995, nurturing the company into a multi-state franchise operation. Since becoming President in 2002, he has grown U.S. Lawns into the largest commercial grounds care franchise in the nation. Ken is an esteemed public speaker, renowned innovator and franchising expert. He sits on the Accredited Snow Contractors Association (ASCA) Board, and has been honored with the prestigious Lawn and Landscape Leadership Award. In 2013, he achieved his longtime dream of completing the Boston Marathon.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

Thank you Michael. Hope everyone is having an excellent day. I look forward to the chat.

JLSLLC likes this.
  4. Ken Hutcheson

Isn't it great to be part of a seasonal industry? While the ebb and flow of the seasons may be challenging to some, they are an opportunity for others. I look forward to your questions.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Im looking forward to the topics on here.

Work is slowing down in my area, phone isnt ringing a lot, which in return is making funds tight. Any suggestions?

I specialize in leaf removal, curbside pick up, and junk-wood. Of course mowing and mulch topsoil and stone. This year is really slow compared to the rest. Thank goodness for repeat customers. I appreciate you taking the time to read.

6. jaecrooks

jaecrooks LawnSite Member

Ive been in business for 6 years. Spring, summer and fall is fantastic, but winters is hard keeping my guys busy. We install pine straw, trim back overgrown shrubs, mulch install, but can't keep my guys 100% productive. Im is Savannah, GA Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. I employ 3 and only have work for 1 part time during the winter, thanks

7. Ken Hutcheson

Here is your chance to shine. You need to get proactive in your efforts to find work. How about going to your past and existing customers and use a phrase that is one of the most powerful in our language. "Can you help me?" Let your customers and employees help you in your efforts to find work. Ask for referrals.

8. Ken Hutcheson

The long term solution is to adjust your customer mix or the way your contract is structured. The ultimate goal in Savannah is to have 12 month agreements with each customer. Alternatively grow your business so your customers will generate extra work to keep your team productive. Commercial customers spend money in the winter.

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
  9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Ken,
    Jim here with MowDaddy Lawncare.
    I am from MN born and raised here.
    I am 54 yrs old. and have worked out doors in the cold for 26 yrs as a general contractor. I can not stand winter any longer, want nothing to do with snow. I go down to Fl. for a month or so each winter.

My question is this. starting next winter we will be able to spend entire winters in FL. Do you have thoughts on how a person could run a business in Mn April through Nov. Yet have my employees doing snow removal during winter months whilst I am away?
    We currently have 2 employees. I wear a lot of hats in the company including all mechanic work. I have a hard time letting the reins go, and trust employees for 4 months each winter?

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
  10. Michael J. Donovan

Ken,

I know there are U.S. Lawns locations that offer snow and ice management services during the winter months. What are some other ways that U.S. Lawns keeps busy during the off-season?

JLSLLC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.