Ask the Expert with U.S. Lawns: Make Money All Winter

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Silver Member

Yes that is where I am at. If it was my choice I would be in FL yr around, but my wife of 33 yrs can't pull the trigger and do a permanent move.

Growing is the way to go for sure, but at 54 how much do I want to grind and dig in again. ;)

JLSLLC likes this.
  2. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

On another note, are you really 14 years old? If so, congratulations. I love to see the entrepreneurial spirit in young Americans.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. Mow-Daddy.com

It works alright, the main advantage for me is it keeps my lawn customers happy over winter. They aren't left hanging, trying to line up snow removal.
    As far as $$ for my company not so much. Subs don't want to take much of cut and I don't blame them.

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I offer junk removal mainly in the off season, as well as garage clean out foreclosure etc. Its hard to market in the growing season but i wouldn't rule it out entirely. Ive gained good customers this way. If you can afford a small dumpster it is worth its weight in gold. Hope this can help someone

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  5. Lawns P.L.U.S.

Lawns P.L.U.S. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Minnesota

yes, I am only 14 years old, and the reason for my question is for when I bid on this HOA it looks as they want snow removal from the same company.

6. Ken Hutcheson

It is not uncommon for a customer to want both services by the same company. It is in your best interest to offer both services because you do not want a competitor on your customer's property. Own the relationship.

7. Lawns P.L.U.S.

Lawns P.L.U.S. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Minnesota

For the time being in order to win the bid I would need to offer snow as well, so when I can drive, I would then do the snow.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  8. Mow-Daddy.com

1 change we have done this fall is put up a greenhouse 20x32, to grow our own plants, flowers, baskets, and potted plants for land scaping, and some retail sales. this will allow us to fire up the business 6 weeks earlier each spring. This could be a good growth avenue. We have enough land to grow this side 10 fold.

9. Ken Hutcheson

Thank you for sharing!

10. Ken Hutcheson

Are there additional questions unrelated to the winter months? How are your plans for 2017 coming along? This is the time of year we prepare budgets and branch plans. Are you doing the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.