Ask the Expert with U.S. Lawns: Make Money All Winter

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you Ken for your time.
    I have to go make a few bucks now.
    Almost done with fall cleanups .

2. Ken Hutcheson

Ken Hutcheson LawnSite Member

Good Luck.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Usually start of Dec. I review the past season, look at any changes needed, or what was successful. Then plan a rough budget for next yr.

4. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Ken,

tying in the last event you hosted in October, what is the U.S. Lawns philosophy for staffing during the off-season months?

5. Ken Hutcheson

Let's talk about budgets for a minute. We start with a goal. It might be as simple as, "I need to make $100,000 this year". To bring home a $100K my business will need to generate $X in revenue. That is your starting point. We then plan the sales activities to reach the revenue goal. What equipment will be needed to complete the work and how many people will be required. Then we look at overheads and other expenses. This "budget" becomes our guide as we plan our activities. As each week/month progresses, we hold ourselves accountable for reaching these goals.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  6. Ken Hutcheson

People Development is a key initiative for our company and as we heard in October is on the mind of many other people in our industry as well. We believe in creating a revenue stream that allows us to keep our key employees as well as many other members of our team.

7. Michael J. Donovan

great insight and thanks for sharing, Ken...I had asked this before but thinking some may have overlooked, but think it is something to discuss in our last 20 minutes or so

has anyone had success adding a new service during the winter season? Any lessons learned, tips or advice you could offer?

8. Ken Hutcheson

Let me plant some seeds. How about Christmas trees? Poinsettias? Holiday decorating? While these don't fit our business model, these ideas may be helpful to some of you.

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
  9. Michael J. Donovan

Hi all, here’s a quick time check. We are approaching the last 10 minutes of the Ask the Expert event. Please get your final questions in.

10. Ken Hutcheson

Thanks for the opportunity to spend some time with you today. Let me share a few thoughts. The off season is your time to reflect on last year and plan for the coming year. Be sure to celebrate your successes over the Holidays and then embrace the opportunity a new year brings. We live in a great country. Be proud of who you are; you're in the select group that possesses the courage to control your destiny.

Mow-Daddy.com and Lawns P.L.U.S. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.