Asset Tracking & Management Software

Tara Ann

LawnSite Bronze Member
What Asset Tracking & Management Software, if any, do you use to track assets?
  • How many assets do you have?
  • Why did you choose that software?
  • What is your favorite feature?

If you're not using any, have you looked at any that interested you?
  • Which companies?
  • Which selling point(s) interest you the most?
  • What is holding you back from purchasing or subscribing?
Thanks, as always, for any information.

CrystalCreek

LawnSite Bronze Member
Most on here don't have enough assets to worry about tracking anything. There are a few that are huge guys. I would reach out to Earth, Turf & Wood. He has a very large operation and is all over the place doing jobs in multiple states at time. He is also a very helpful guy and has personally helped me on things like this.
As for my own company, being only 7 employees, 5 trucks, and 6 trailers, tracking assets is easiest for us doing it on a white board in the office. Caveman yes, but it works. Good luck.

OP
Tara Ann

Tara Ann

LawnSite Bronze Member
Most on here don't have enough assets to worry about tracking anything. There are a few that are huge guys. I would reach out to Earth, Turf & Wood. He has a very large operation and is all over the place doing jobs in multiple states at time. He is also a very helpful guy and has personally helped me on things like this.
As for my own company, being only 7 employees, 5 trucks, and 6 trailers, tracking assets is easiest for us doing it on a white board in the office. Caveman yes, but it works. Good luck.
Thank you for your response, @CrystalCreek.

Interesting. I saw a post from him for the first time yesterday in my over 2 years of being on this site (used my boss' account before creating my own).

Currently, we use 3 ring binders, and spreadsheets. Like your system, it works. Asset Panda is $1,500 annually with no option to pay monthly. *gasp*

BrendonTW

LawnSite Bronze Member
What exactly are you looking for? Asset tracking / asset management is a broad term that will typically get you results with far more capabilities than you need. (Energy companies keeping up with production or drilling equipment geographically and mechanically, commercial refrigeration contractors with enormous portable chillers, manufacturing facilities with multimillion dollar machines, or even tracking manufacturing facilities themselves, etc.)

Are you looking for location tracking of lawn maintenance equipment? Are you looking for fleet management? Keeping track of scheduled maintenance, equipment costs, dates, etc..?

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
What exactly are you looking for? Asset tracking / asset management is a broad term that will typically get you results with far more capabilities than you need. (Energy companies keeping up with production or drilling equipment geographically and mechanically, commercial refrigeration contractors with enormous portable chillers, manufacturing facilities with multimillion dollar machines, or even tracking manufacturing facilities themselves, etc.)

Are you looking for location tracking of lawn maintenance equipment? Are you looking for fleet management? Keeping track of scheduled maintenance, equipment costs, dates, etc..?
Beat me to it. I read some of that link and was surprised to read about computers, software licenses, etc.

OP
Tara Ann

Tara Ann

LawnSite Bronze Member

Great question, @BrendonTW. Sorry for my vagueness.

We already use a global positioning system software for the vehicles, and will likely only use that for trucks and vans. Some of the things we are looking for with Asset Tracking & Management Software:

- scheduled maintenance
- equipment tracking (mowers, blowers, hedge trimmers, trucks, plows, etc.)
- inventory (oil, air filters, etc.)
- who serviced the equipment, what services were done, date/time of service, and inventory used...

This is not my area of expertise whatsoever. With that being said, if this message is vague as well, please excuse my ignorance. I was tasked with researching software companies for asset management, and thought I would see if some of the more seasoned professionals had any experience or input.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic

We already use a global positioning system software for the vehicles, and will likely only use that for trucks and vans. Some of the things we are looking for with Asset Tracking & Management Software:

- scheduled maintenance
- who serviced the equipment, what services were done, date/time of service, and inventory used...

This is not my area of expertise whatsoever. With that being said, if this message is vague as well, please excuse my ignorance. I was tasked with researching software companies for asset management, and thought I would see if some of the more seasoned professionals had any experience or input.
Tara, this was asked a few months ago and @snomaha said they are using this one:

https://www.managerplus.com/

@Green Mentorship was beta testing another one.

I'm trying to find time for the free demo with managerplus.

Chilehead

LawnSite Silver Member

- scheduled maintenance

Per a previous post in this thread, a spreadsheet works great. I use a spreadsheet for my own equipment maintenance intervals, and have since I started. Maybe, a spreadsheet can be used for your equipment maintenance intervals, but use of a separate inventory management program for inventory. Here are 4 free ones: https://listoffreeware.com/free-open-source-inventory-management-software-windows/