1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Association memberships?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it worth it to try and netword through various associations that our industry deal with?

Im not a people person and I keep telling myself that one day I will pop out of my turtle shell & become a people person. Im not holding my breath but I would like to at least make a attempt.:dizzy:

I've got many to choose from and possible some that I don't even know about.

CAI community association institute
    BOMA building owner & manager association
    Turfgrass council of NC
    PLANET professional landcare network
    NC nursery & Landscape association
    Carolina green industry network

Membership to all of these would be a little over $1,000 per year. Do any of you every pick any work from going to these meetings?

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Dealing with people may be the most important part of owning a business. Whether it's customers, employees, vendors, etc. Come out of your shell, join some organizations and start mingling.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what im after. I've been in business for 10 years and nearly the same size for all 10 years. Flyers & word of mouth will only get you so far

I need to take it to the next level. I even thought of spending the coin on one of Marty Grunders grow events. Maybe his motivation will spark something in me lol.

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

My associations Keep me informed through their publications, weekly e-mail updates, continuing education, seminars, pests and diseases and a whole lot of other stuff.

We get a deal on alot of things like liability insurance, parts, equipment, supplies,
    banking services, a discount on gas purchases, vehicle leasing. all of my trees, shrubs, soils, retaining walls etc...and then again, a whole lot of other stuff.

I'm active with the BCLNA, but I don't go to many meetings. You won't find alot of work by mingling at a bbq with a bunch of your peers, who probably are also competitors.

There are on-line referal service and publications that go out to the public and business communities that we are listed in.

I'm not a member to find new clients. I like the deals that are offered and the up to date industry information.