1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

AT101 / K472 tires? Wheel spacers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's getting close to time for 4 new shoes for my ZTR.

My front caster angle is a little shy on the front, so I will be sticking with the largest smooth tires up front.

In the rear though, I would like to try the turf type ballon bar/chevron tread like they put on grasshoppers and stuff. These would be replacing 24x12-12 Turf Masters. Turf Masters to me are not horrible for a conventional turf tire. Maybe there are better ones? But all in all, in the end sometimes they have just enough bite to chew a spot somewhere or just enough bite to spin a bare spot in an instant but not enough to go anywhere. Also, these days my mower sits on my basement floor instead of in a shop at work on my trailer. So something a little easier to clean up would be nice too. Especially for those times when you run over a stinky surprise. Getting it out of a turf master is like getting it out of a tennis shoe.

So what is the feedback on using the Carlisle AT101 or the Kenda K472?

Also what kind of sizing comparison can anyone make. We all know Turf Masters run really shy of 24x12 if you put a ruler to them, and I don't have a lot of extra clearance in one area by a tank support, nor in front of the tire by the back of the deck. I'm not going to pump the rears up hard. Probably only 8-10 PSI for good ride and traction.

Of my 3 properties I cut, one is no problem at all. You could run a turf tire, or tire chains lol. The turf there is thick and tough and there are only a few weird places I can spin when I try to turn when mowing a certain way. The other two are pretty tender. One is because of a lot of trees and the other is just because I haven't gotten started building the turf like I want.

Both of the tender ones have some challenging places. One has a hill that ends at a ditch before a row of trees. It's easiest to cut across it the one way. But I mow it a different way every time. All the other ways end in me being nose down the hill and having to make a turn. The other one slopes down to a fence side to side, and the fence is running downhill and curving around. Imagine a huge horse corral, except instead of a flat field it's going around a big hill a few feet from the bottom and a few feet from the top on the other. You have to go down to the fence, turn right and follow the fence around. You're tilted left side downhill towards the fence, plus going down the hill at the same time and also having to curve right as you go until you get to the bottom and then you climb the other side. Same situation either way you go. Pretty hairy because one slip and you are into the fence. Try to cut a little too early in the day or on a cloudy day and you're gonna eat fence. So the more traction the better for me so long as I'm not tearing everything up.

I've also thought a few times about widening the rear track width out some like the old Widetrack Tanks or Dixie Choppers which I am thinking would help with turning leverage a little and offer a little more stability as well. I have the separate pump and wheel wheel motor type setup and there are options to add from say 1" up to 2.5" wheel spacers on each side. 1", 1.5", 2" 2.5" but I don't want to do it if it's gonna hurt the wheel motors.

Wondering if anyone has ever done it? I have changed to deeper wheel offset before and it never hurt a thing. But it was indeed a smaller mower, so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see you back on Lawnsite, it has been a long time...I hope life has been treating you well!

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Envy Lawn Service

Hey! Look who is still here! I see a few familiar names still but not as many.

Yeah doing ok, can't complain, how about yourself.

I guess everybody just runs what comes on the mowers and most are out of it or no longer have the mower by the time it needs tires? Do they even put these kind of bar tread tires on grasshoppers or any kinds of mowers now?

I was hoping maybe some more people had more experience with alternative tires by now.

hort101 likes this.
  4. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Tweels are the big rage now bro. Other than those I don't see a whole lot of tire discussion on here. I have heard the bar tires were the cats meow in the past just nothing lately..

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Mickhippy ran them on his SZ's and he loved them. There have been several others here that ran or still run them. Actually, not too long ago there was quite a discussion on them here. If/when I replace my Turf Masters, it will be with the AT101's. I was thinking about doing it sooner than needed just a while ago while cutting a very wet property where I was getting a lot of tire spin even with careful stick manipulation. It just has a lot of humps and dips right where I need to make turns etc and some short, but steep hills as well. This time of year (and even with the heat wave we are having again), the grass isn't drying out until late in the day if it is getting any irrigation at all (even though we haven't had rain in about a month here now).

I have ran R1 tires on mowers in the past (HD GT's. not Z's) ad never had any tearing issues or anywhere near the tire slip that I get with the TM's.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Envy Lawn Service

Yeah I remember Mickhippy. From downunder right?

I also remember the Hustler ATZ's ran some bar tread tires.

Can anyone shed any light on the AT101 vs the K471? I don't have anywhere I can go look at them to compare. They look the same to me online. I only remembered Kenda made a flotation bar lug because I've seen them on Grasshoppers and been reminded because Grasshopper has made a small comeback around here with a local dealer.

I think the Kenda K472 tire I am looking at is the R1? It's not a superlug, not a square looking tire like a front tractor tire or anything. Roundy floatation looking tire like what came on those amphibious 6x6 things

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Envy Lawn Service

Kenda also has another tire similar but a little more scary looking and a little smaller. The K467. Kind of looks like a cross between a flotation bar lug and the Bearclaw. 23x10.5-12 which specs at 22.8"x10.2" which I bet is really close to the actual size of my 24x12-12 turf masters if I took a measuring tape to them.

I am a little scared of this tire though. IDK.

8. OP
    OP
    Envy Lawn Service

I went and put a tape measure to things.

I have like 1 1/8" clearance between the tire and tank support and tire and back of the deck.

My 24x12-12 Turf Masters measure in reality closer to 22"x11"

I don't have a lot of clearance to play with on height. If either tire were to be close to true to height I'd be in trouble possibly. A true 24" tall tire would all but touch both. Be like 1/8" from rubbing.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Tires are never as tall as the number on the side says they should be, but IME, the width is very close when inflated to the proper pressure. The width is not measured at the tread though. It is taken at the widest point of the cross section when inflated properly.

The Kenda 472 is their version of the AT 101. It should also be a great ZTR tire and usually run a little less money. Technically, they are R1's but just not as aggressive as a full ag R1, plus the 101/472 are designed for turf apps and are much more rounded at the shoulders. IME, this kind of tire cause far less turf damage than the TM type because they don't spin near as easy in wet conditions. You just have to learn to be a little lighter on the sticks at first when turning while moving.

Most 24 or 26" tires will measure around an inch less when inflated to the proper pressure.

BYW- Mick has a channel under that name and has a lot of videos on it. I think there may still be some with his SZ's when they had the AT 101's on them.

For some reason, this site isn't letting me provide the link. Just look up Mickhippy on YT.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic