1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Athletic fields

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by Allykat, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Allykat

Allykat LawnSite Member
    from SE Iowa

Hello from Iowa,
    Been reading tons of threads on this site for over a year now and this is my first post so hang with me. I'm in my second year of the mowing business. I had a great 1st year and looking to grow just a little. Due to the fact that I have a full time job, I can only take on so much for now.
    I'm looking for some advice. I've contacted two local high schools about taking care of, mowing, their athletic fields(football, baseball, softball). Both schools loved the idea since it would take a lot of responsibility off the coaches and maintenance personnel can't keep up. Since I presented it to them a little late, they are going to open it up for bidding for the 2017 mowing season. With everyone's expertise, what would one bid for each field, or a total per mowing? I have a price in mind but wanting your thoughts! Also, both schools are on board with possibly someone taking over everything, field maintenance, line painting, etc. in the future.
    Thank you in advance.

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Silver Member

It's not likely the union will easily give up this work unless their people really hate doing it. From the school's perspective, the most likely reason they would hire you would be to save money. Occasionally they go outside because they want better results, but not often enough. They are alreay spending as little as they feel they can get away with. They probably have a better mower for the job than you. Lining fields takes training and a lot of time to do well.

If you are still interested, find your way to and ask for a meeting with the business manager. It took me a long time to figure out none of the following people make these decisions: coaches, athletic director, director of building & grounds, principal, superintendent.

MoWinmoneyy likes this.