1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

ATL, GA. HD Landscape Supply Closing

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by tjsquickcuts, Oct 4, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

There is a huge sale going on at HDLS right now. 20 to 50% off everything. All the shrubs, equipment(echo), etc all on sale. Lowes is also having a sale on all trees and shrubs....50% off ....I know most of you guys are home today because of the rain, and you might want to go take advantage of theses deals before all the bigger companies clean them out. I was luck to get there early this morning when they opened, and spent nearly 5k. Got pavers, fert, pre emergent, seeds, trees, shrubs, more pavers......I spent 5k, and should flip that into at 20 to 25k. Plus I spent another 1k at lowes. Bought 7 Jap Maples for $45 bucks a piece. I am going to sale those for a min of $350. Man I felt like a kid in a big candy store. Just wanted to let all of you know if you didnt know. I finally know how my wife feels on black friday(day after thanksgiving). Good luck...

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Thanks for the heads up! They are closing the HDLS for good! You don't know how tired I am of people telling me they can get it cheaper at HD! One less place for them to shop. Most of the nurseries I deal with can't stand home owners.

Pikes Wholesale in Holly Springs is also closing it's doors this winter from what I hear.

How are you going to water all of the plants when we have this ban going on?

I have about 3-4 installs and they want to go ahead, but I'm thinking it's not a good idea now. They want me to warranty the plants? When the local gov says you can't water after 30 days, it's not my problem. I have a feeling people are going to hold off on planting this fall and winter.

I just picked up a paver job this morning so that was a nice bonus!

3. LawnsUnlimitedatl

LawnsUnlimitedatl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up. I heard they were closing but didn't know when.

4. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

They will be closed for good on Nov 19th. Pikes out my way already closed. It sucks because there really arent many place to go. HD is trying to corner the market. They are going to have the Supply stores built into the regular stores from what I have heard. I spent a lot of money with HDLS, I was a A tier customer. If they decided to move the supplys stores into the regular HD, I will not go. But thats JMO....

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Try Advanced Nursery or Buck Jones. I'm not sure if Jones is near you. Advanced has a nursery in Marietta. There are a couple of growers out in Forsyth Co.

Did Pikes close a wholesale nursery in your area or a retail?

From what I read, HD may offer some of the HDLS stuff at the regular stores, but it will be small scale. They had 2 pallets of rock at the store here in Canton and told one customer who needed more to go down the road to Riverstone Landscape Supply for the rest! As far as I'm concerned they are for homeowners, I've never really shopped there unless it was in a pinch.
    They are even playing with the idea of doing away with lumber and tools in other markets right now. Testing new stores with furniture, paint, interior decorating goods, stores geared towards women. It's the lame do it yourself market along with the slow down in building/remodeling market making them look for other money makers.

I did stop by the Woodstock HDLS this morning and buy a few things. I didn't think the plant material look all that great. Picked up an Echo BP 620 for 319.00 and some hand tools.

6. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Yeah, I was able to work out a delivery deal with the GM at the HDLS down my way, so it really made it worth it to shop their. Plus, I got a lot of breaks on certain trees and shrubs, and they always had what i needed. Beside there, I shop down at the Farmers market near the airport. Good deal on that blower too. They will be giving that stuff away at the end of the month, thats when I am going to clean house. They closed a HD store down the street because they opened up a new store around the corner, and they had some pretty good sales too. I bought 44 bags of pre emergent (0-0-7 & 19-0-7) for 8 bucks per bag. Couldnt have beat that if I stole it....lmao.....and yes, Pike closed....and I am seriously thinking about buying or leasing the spot they left. I have went back and fort on trying to open a Supply and Design center. Its a high traffic location, but not sure If business would support the rent.