• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Attention serious leaf mulchers I have an idea

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah, but then you're stuck with mulching only and because the discharge is blocked leaves tend to get blown away by the air from the blades, particularly in areas of thin turf. I've used the Exmark mulch kits and they're pretty good but are too limiting for me.

Something that has worked well for me in the past when leaf accumulation is on the light side was running both a Gator and a high lift on each spindle. It turns the mower into a combination mulcher and blower. The air generated blows most of the leaves on the right side clear so that there are very few left on the return pass. So the few remaining leaves get mulched and all but disappear. When you get to the far side of the lawn you have a concentration of all of the leaves that got blown there, then you can just grind them up a bit and bag them. I hope that makes sense. I don't do that anymore.

Experiment and do what works best for you, your equipment and your accounts. For me that's usually blowing the heavy accumulations from the edges into the woods and then vacuum bagging what remains. Most of my current accounts are 2+ acre lots in the woods with a natural wooded zone between lawns.
That’s a lot of leaves!

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
That’s a lot of leaves!
Most of the lawns aren't all that big. Lots of rock ledge, cliffs and undulating terrain and it would be cost prohibitive to make a large lawn area. Site prep costs can run well over $100k to get a buildable house lot prepped in the area. This is the setting that many of my accounts are in. Like I said, in the woods.
Screenshot_20201120-205026.png

grigs04

LawnSite Member
Yah if it works better than it’s a good idea. Only downfall is if u have employees doing the job then good luck having them remember not to lower the deck lol. You cant do things the wrong way and expect employees to remember or follow your instructions. It just doesn’t work.

Richard Carey

LawnSite Member
If you do anything intentionally wrong, that would be a problem with manufacturers warrantee, and if there is property damage you would be liable for damage. If someone gets hurt somehow you would be found guilty of negligence for personal injury, up to triple damages, and since you posted your intent that shows premeditated thought so you would not be able to claim any form of ignorance. Just follow the approved installation instructions on blade installation and maintenance, and save yourself the potential problems. I have been in business for over 30 years, and am also a paralegal in green industry. Just do it right, don’t try to over think it; a couple passes is better than a path to court.

AlpineNaturescapes

LawnSite Member
As most people that mulch as part of the fall clean up have noticed that mulching leaves in reverse works better for whatever reason. My idea is to put mulching blades upside down to simulate mowing in reverse and see if this grinds leaves better than mulch kits OCD's etc.
I figure I'll try single blades first and then try doubles upside down.
Not a good idea. Turning blades upside down will reverse the air currents inside the deck, and tend to blow anything cut out before it gets mulched. Better idea is if you have a floating deck, to raise the front of the deck a 1/2" above the rear of the deck. Otherwise, what happens with mulching is that the leaves tend to build up in front of the deck. l handle this problem by keeping the rear of my deck 1/2" higher than the front. That's actually how I mow all the time. When leaves are thick enough to build up in front of the deck, I push them to a center area, and then back over them. The rear wheel of my mower packs down the pile, and it just works better.

OP
H

HenryB

LawnSite Bronze Member
OK guys we can all breathe easy. I'm not going to do it. I tried it for one path in my own yard did not work, no one injured, no one killed. Put the blades back on and that's all .Wow have a good night fellas. Please lets move on.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
OK guys we can all breathe easy. I'm not going to do it. I tried it for one path in my own yard did not work, no one injured, no one killed. Put the blades back on and that's all .Wow have a good night fellas. Please lets move on.
It's all good.

Thanks for bringing up the subject in the first place. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. After all, Edison tried 100's of different things before he hit on the correct filament material for the lightbulb.